Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

New Game Recommendations

Post by Heather »

I just got gifted TS4 by a lovely friend, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for starting out in the game? Stuff like must-have mods, what your favourite EP/SPs are, etc. :) At the moment I'm just playing the base game with some custom hair/clothes. I haven't spent too much time with it yet, but in TS2 my favourite aspects were building/interior design, and supernatural creatures, if that's any help!
Taube
Origin ID: 22Taube

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Re: New Game Recommendations

Post by Taube »

If you like supernaturals and can afford it, Vampires is a must have! In my opinion, it's probably the most well-done GP by far! Parenthood also vastly changes the gameplay in families with kids, and is similarly well-thought-out. I enjoy both of them, but I really have to recommend Vampires. The customization system and the CAS parts for vampires are beyond awesome, and you get three new vampire-related aspirations. Spa Day and Dine Out are fun and add good stuff to the game, and running a restaurant looks fun if a little frustrating without mods. Outdoor Retreat I kind of partially regret buying just because the trips got kind of boring for me, so when one of my sims rolls Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration, I'm always like, "Oh geez, now we have to go to Granite Falls again!" :haha: But it added a lot of cool stuff and GF is gorgeous.

SPs kind of depend on personal taste, because they don't add huge amounts of gameplay, so it depends on whether you like the CAS and build/buy assets. Personally, I think Kids Room Stuff is great if you're a family or legacy player, because kids always need more stuff. They just did a teaser the other day that a toddler pack will be coming out late this summer. An SP, I think. I personally like Backyard Stuff. Also Luxury Party Stuff, but that's because I enjoy putting my sims in ridiculous outfits. I really like the boho clothes from Movie Night. Otherwise, you'd do best to watch LGR's reviews to see what's on offer. I don't always agree with him, but he's funny and does a great job of showing what comes in a pack.

EPs can be kind of a mixed bag. They can add a lot to the game, but some things always seem a little unfinished or haphazard? Like I love living in a penthouse in San Myshuno and customizing it, not to mention other gameplay stuff, but if you think too hard about apartments in Sims 2, the differences get kind of depressing. I wrote about my EP opinions more extensively here in another thread, so I'm not going to rehash them.

THE must-have mod is MC Command Center. He's trying to replicate some NRaas functionality from TS3 and add more control and a modicum of story progression to the game. Very responsible about updating. By the way, any game patches or updates have a tendency to break a lot of mods, moreso than previous games in my opinion, so always check if your mods have been updated after any patches. Packs tend to break things less, but still can, but the updates are occasionally really hard on the modding community. MTS has a lot of great mods for gameplay tweaks and annoyances. There's a lot of mods and CC there and of course on Tumblr. A good place to look for CC and mods is Lana CC Finds. It's how I found pretty much all of my toddler CC, because the annoying thing about looking on Tumblr is all the good stuff is scattered to the four winds instead of being localized anywhere, but I digress.

I don't post here a ton anymore but I lurk, and I play Sims 4 a lot, so if there is anything you wanted to know in particular, just let me know! :)
screeny

Post by screeny »

Just starting the sims 4 crew.
Just recently buying this i'm in love with it all ready only got the base game. And really need some advice when picking which extra game next. Im thinking parenting but don't know if i should just go with the order they came out in.
I was a huge sims 2 fan. Played on it alot, But got kinda bored has pretty much done everything and had everything that i wanted in it. Didn't really enjoys sims 3, only played the base game but just liked sims 2 better. I only recently wanted to start back up in played, When i did play i loved a good Legacy challenge. I loved lots of big families.
Really need help on which game to pick next though i would ask everyone :shrug:
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

screeny wrote:Just starting the sims 4 crew.
Just recently buying this i'm in love with it all ready only got the base game. And really need some advice when picking which extra game next. Im thinking parenting but don't know if i should just go with the order they came out in.
I was a huge sims 2 fan. Played on it alot, But got kinda bored has pretty much done everything and had everything that i wanted in it. Didn't really enjoys sims 3, only played the base game but just liked sims 2 better. I only recently wanted to start back up in played, When i did play i loved a good Legacy challenge. I loved lots of big families.
Really need help on which game to pick next though i would ask everyone :shrug:
Have fun with your new game! I would definitely recommend picking out the packs based on what sort of gameplay appeals to you, rather than just buying them in release order. :) Parenthood is really good pack to have if you enjoy playing big generational families with kids, so I think that would be a good pick for you!

My personal favourites are City Living because I like the apartment system 4 has, Cats & Dogs because I think the pets are a big improvement over what we had in 2 (and the dogs in particular are super adorable). I'm also a fan of playing with the occults, so I really liked the Vampires pack, and the new mermaids from Island Living. I do also like how Seasons changes the atmosphere of the game, but I think if you're just starting out it might be good to focus on getting some packs that will add to the gameplay, since the basegame can be a little lacking. :)
sueplayssims
Origin ID: SusieeP94
Great Britain

Post by sueplayssims »

Hi :) our stories sound very similar. I've been playing Sims since Sims 1 and my love for the game only grew with TS2.

When Ts3 came out I got it, but didn't fall in love with it. I bought generations and one other pack I can't remember but it still never really had that quirky feel to it that ts2 had for me. So I carried on playing ts2.

Throw in working and a uni degree and I only just got TS4 in December last year. Ive been enjoying it so far. I wish that Sims performed more random socials with each other based on their traits. I used to love that in ts2. In TS4, even my mean and hotheaded children go around randomly hugging their family members which irks me as Imo they should be teasing their siblings and smashing down the dolls house etc. Anyway...
The first EP I got was city living and I love the apartment feature. The town is pretty cute as well. I particularly like the park there. I bought Get to Work yesterday as well but haven't had chance to play with any of its features yet. I was particularly drawn in by the doctor and detective career, the open for business type gameplay and aliens!! (I love occult Sims too)
Next on my list are Get Together, vampires and parenthood. I would love seasons and cats and dogs as well at some point. But simming is an expensive hobby so will have to build my collection up slowly [emoji23]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”