Discussion/Poll: Getting more comments on a post!

Is it broken or could it be better? Post any suggestions for the forum here :)

What are the reasons that keep you, forum inhabitants, from commenting on a post?

Too shy to comment
33%
Fear of being disliked
No votes
Not wishing to leave negative feedback
No votes
Forgetting to comment
11%
Not knowing the poster well enough
17%
Inability to comment due to status on the forum
No votes
Other (discuss below)
39%

Total votes: 18

modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Discussion/Poll: Getting more comments on a post!

Post by modelmgt »

Let's discuss that too-fun forum option; commenting on our favorite(or not-so-favorite) posts!
This could also help us get some insight!
Comments can be a form of entertainment all on their own, :rotfl: or just give helpful feedback when approached properly. :#1:
Let your mind wander. . .
Suggestions:
What drives a fellow simmer to comment? We all know why we do, but get it down here for the sake of helping others!
What are the reasons you don't comment? (you can also give your input via poll)
This wouldn't be a comments discussion without re-living our fondest comment memories! :toast:
What are some of your favorites/most memorable comments and why?
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Kimberly

Achievements / Awards

Re: Discussion/Poll: Getting more comments on a post!

Post by Kimberly »

I try to encourage.
I am terribly shy.
[align=center]Raven Quick
Applecrisp News*[/align]
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by peachy123uk »

Sometimes i don't know what to say. I do try and read everybody blog but that takes a lot of time.
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

peachy123uk wrote:Sometimes i don't know what to say. I do try and read everybody blog but that takes a lot of time.
This is me a lot of the times also.
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Duhmee
Steam ID: Duhmee17
Origin ID: Duhmee89
Canada

Post Counts

Post by Duhmee »

I try to comment on every story I read because that tells the person that at least someone is reading it lol. I always assume people don't like what they read of mine if I don't get a comment lol but thats probably part of my social anxiety :lol:
[align=center]Sims 4 Newbie![/align]
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]You Still Make My Crazy Little Heart Go BOOM! Baby Boom Challenge[/align]
[align=center]The Comedy Legacy[/align]
[align=center]Jenny Debris, Living the Trashy Life[/align]
[align=center]A Pleasant Legacy[/align]
108sims
Origin ID: 108sims

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by 108sims »

I try to comment on everyone's things I read, though now I'm a little nervous with how far behind I am on everything! I sometimes get anxious if it's someone I don't know very well.
[align=center]Image
ImageImageImageImage[/align]
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

My comments are generally: "Looks great" "sounds great" "doing great". And then I feel that that isn't enough and if I am going to comment I have to pick out specific things I liked etc, so I end up not commenting because normally, I think it is great, but don't know what to say specifically, so I end up not commenting at all.
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
Origin ID: Rawla
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

Teresa wrote:My comments are generally: "Looks great" "sounds great" "doing great". And then I feel that that isn't enough and if I am going to comment I have to pick out specific things I liked etc, so I end up not commenting because normally, I think it is great, but don't know what to say specifically, so I end up not commenting at all.
Teresa captured my thoughts pretty well. :smiley:
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Teresa wrote:My comments are generally: "Looks great" "sounds great" "doing great". And then I feel that that isn't enough and if I am going to comment I have to pick out specific things I liked etc, so I end up not commenting because normally, I think it is great, but don't know what to say specifically, so I end up not commenting at all.
I'm in the same boat, I have no idea what to say some of the time. Even if this forum doesn't have a like button, leaving a heart emoji on the thread could work just as well as a like button. Doing that will at least let the thread creator know people are liking what they write, even if they don't specify what it is they liked about it. But that's just an idea. ^^
Duhmee
Steam ID: Duhmee17
Origin ID: Duhmee89
Canada

Post Counts

Post by Duhmee »

Ani-Mei wrote: I'm in the same boat, I have no idea what to say some of the time. Even if this forum doesn't have a like button, leaving a heart emoji on the thread could work just as well as a like button. Doing that will at least let the thread creator know people are liking what they write, even if they don't specify what it is they liked about it. But that's just an idea. ^^
Having a like button would be fantastic! Then people could let you know they liked it without having to leave a whole comment! I "like" this suggestion! Lol
[align=center]Sims 4 Newbie![/align]
[align=center]You Still Make My Crazy Little Heart Go BOOM! Baby Boom Challenge[/align]
[align=center]The Comedy Legacy[/align]
[align=center]Jenny Debris, Living the Trashy Life[/align]
[align=center]A Pleasant Legacy[/align]
ciyrose
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: ciyrose
Origin ID: ciyrose
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

Post Counts

Post by ciyrose »

I usually try and comment something on every post, in part to help me remember if I read one or not. I can get super far behind (like I am right now) and having a comment where I 'left off' helps me remember where I was when I read last, or helps me if I want to read back and post or two. It's also partially because I always appreciate comments on my own posts, so if I want others to I feel like I should comment too. :)

ACTIVE CHALLENGES
ImageImage
Image Image
Nella
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Nella »

My problem is that my public speaking anxiety carries over to written words as well. When I finish reading a chapter I start to get nervous thinking that I have to comment, sometimes I open the comment box, I write and delete several times and I end up leaving it empty, promising myself that I will write at another time and then I don't.

I liked Ani-Mei's idea of leaving a heart emoji on the thread. I think I'll start doing that.
My Stories:

Spoiler:
ImageImage
Nominations: Best ISBI (Disaster in the Making) - Sim of the Year (Mona Simpson)
Salem
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: Salemsvartulv
Origin ID: Ginnynena
Mexico

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Salem »

As many have said already, I get extremelly shy about leaving coments, specially when a story is already long because I feel like I wanna say so much about it, but I don't wanna come out as weird for leaving a massive, extremelly detailed coment, and then while I'm debating myself about it I go read another story and, oh look! Now I have two massive coments I want to make and I'm still not sure lol.

It also doesn't help that my mental health has been reaaaaally acting up lately, so sometimes I just can't make myself do anything but lurk around reading everything I can find but I can't even make myself write my own updates lol

The heart emoji sounds like an awesome way to let someone know your reading! I know I get súper excited everytime I get a coment, even just a 'cool story' makes my day lol
katrisims
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Finland

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by katrisims »

For me, it's mostly a couple of things.

For one thing, I can get overwhelmed by the sheer number of stories available on Boolprop. I know I must be missing great stories, and I feel guilty about not reading more and commenting more, but unfortunately I don't have as much time as I'd like to. Also, there are a bunch of stories I've been reading for a long time, and some of them aren't really updating frequently anymore. Still it makes me wary of starting on new stories somehow: what if I take on new stories now, and in six months my old favorite starts updating again, and I won't have time to read/comment on it anymore? Will that person think I don't like their story anymore?

Another thing that likely contributes for me is that I've been around for so long. In the olden times, super detailed comments were in fashion. People would comment on different plot points and whatever crossed their minds. "So and so is being so mean, it's not fair to blame their dad for everything! Ooh, X is so cute after their teen makeover!" I kind of still tend to do this for the stories I read, out of habit and partially because that's what I've used to seeing as "polite". So even though a simple "I've been reading and I enjoy your story!" would make me happy, it still feels like I should be giving more detailed comments.

Oh and also, many stories have a bunch of chapters out already, so it can be a task in itself to get caught up. And then I feel uncertain about commenting while still catching up. I don't want to spam the thread after every chapter from three years ago, and would feel embarrassed if I then didn't actually fully catch up in the end and would never comment on the newest chapters.

So, silly things really. It's weird how easy it's to build these mental blocks on commenting. I quite like the idea of a heart emoji or something as a simple replacement of a "like" button. :hmm: It sounds like a nice way of showing support and encouragement for people's stories in a lighter way. :heart:
ciyrose
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Steam ID: ciyrose
Origin ID: ciyrose
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

Post Counts

Post by ciyrose »

The heart emoji is a really nice idea. It is nice to have some way to show support.

I sometimes feel funny commenting on something that is either done, or ended or whatever, and I always try and point out somewhere on my blogs, I welcome comments on any posts because I've had people who started reading and commenting and say something like "I hope you don't mind a comment on this old post" kind of thing.

ACTIVE CHALLENGES
ImageImage
Image Image
KatLovesPotatoes
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by KatLovesPotatoes »

ciyrose wrote:The heart emoji is a really nice idea. It is nice to have some way to show support.

I sometimes feel funny commenting on something that is either done, or ended or whatever, and I always try and point out somewhere on my blogs, I welcome comments on any posts because I've had people who started reading and commenting and say something like "I hope you don't mind a comment on this old post" kind of thing.
Same. I do not mind comments in any posts... especially since I don’t get comments a lot... :/
CeresIn
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Argentina

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

Post Counts

Post by CeresIn »

Mostly time, I'm behind in most of the stories that I follow and I don't like to comment in the middle of a story that is already advanced. The problem is that I never catch up with the stories so I never get to the last chapter to comment.
Maybe I have to start leaving a sentence that I'm reading even if it is only that, so the writer knows that I'm interested in their story.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

And using a heart emoji for stories here on Boolprop is definitely acceptable. I know some forums require posts to be a certain length or whatever, but if you want to just leave an emoji on a thread to let the writer know you are reading it, is perfectly fine.
KatLovesPotatoes
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by KatLovesPotatoes »

Teresa wrote:And using a heart emoji for stories here on Boolprop is definitely acceptable. I know some forums require posts to be a certain length or whatever, but if you want to just leave an emoji on a thread to let the writer know you are reading it, is perfectly fine.
Yep. For me, any sort of response makes me happy. I just love responses in general.

Return to “Suggestions and Help”