Outdoor Retreat Game Pack - Jan 2015

Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Outdoor Retreat Game Pack - Jan 2015

Post by Abby »

So we have our first expansion pack coming january, kinda. It's a game pack, described by the creators as a midway point between a 'stuff pack' and an 'expansion pack'. The game has an outdoors theme, allowing our sims to go camping and stuff in a new custom 'world'.

A mini-trailer has been found here:
http://simsvip.com/2014/12/19/the-sims- ... t-trailer/

I remember reading online somewhere, something about a herbology skill to make potions and stuff. Looks interesting. I read on a website (that i now cant find) like a Q+A session with an EA staff about the expansion, and he did assure that a full expansion pack is in the works.
ceajaye

Re: Outdoor Retreat Game Pack - Jan 2015

Post by ceajaye »

I'm actually starting to feel bad for EA. I feel like they're really trying to break out of the mold they formed in TS2 & 3, but it's backfiring on them big time
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

Do you think so? I dont mind these new aspects with this game, as long as a full EP is eventually released im happy with these game packs!
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

These seem like a good middle ground between stuff packs and expansions. I never bought stuff packs but I'll probably consider game packs. They seem like a much better value to me.
lindiedb

Post by lindiedb »

Bear! I am conflicted about whether I want this or not.

I quite like the idea of these game packs, far more than I ever liked the stuff packs. I was never interested in buying objects and clothes, not when the community makes so much great (and often better) content for free. But I could go for new interactions, especially if they are things sims can do together. My biggest gripe about TS4 is that the way sims interact with each other is so talk-talk-talk and not enough action. If that makes sense. I guess I miss the way the kids used to play together, chasing each other around the house.
Greyheart Project | Wonderchild Challenge | TS4
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

I totally agree with you! I always think that about the Sims game with no expansions though. Its like the Sims takes a few expansions to really develop into a solid game. Hopefully we'll get some more details on what's included in game packs soon.
Whirligig

Post by Whirligig »

I will probably buy this game pack, because I'm really enjoying TS4 and am excited for something new to add to the game.

Having said that, my concern with game packs is twofold. Firstly, in TS2 and TS3, camping was in the travel packs (Bon Voyage and World Adventures). It wasn't fully featured all its own, but it was there if you wanted it. Now to get camping, we'll have to splurge an additional 20 bucks for that feature that previously was well integrated into a more complete expansion pack.

This leads to my second concern - integration, which was a huge problem with TS3. We had all these expansion packs by the end of it, but none of them seemed to communicate very well. The features didn't meld - Late Night came with 3 new instruments, but you still needed guitar to advance in the music career - you couldn't choose a different instrument. Not to mention the whole issue with not having all the necessary lots in your world - lots from showtime would try to override lots from ambitions and basically getting a complete neighbourhood was a nightmare.

If EA is releasing game packs and stuff packs, I hope they know how to integrate the different packs so that, at the end of the day we have a complete, harmonized game with lots of different features and options like we had with TS2, rather than an amalgamation of separate features that don't really blend well with each other and leaves you feeling like you're playing 12 games at once the way we sort of had it with TS3.

For example, will there be a travel EP with TS4 after Outdoor Retreat? And if so, will sims be rolling whims to go on vacation? And will the Outdoor Retreat count towards that vacation whim? That's just a small example, but hopefully you sort of get what I mean.

The game as is does feel a bit incomplete, though the patches helped (I did prefer the more challenging careers and aspirations, though - the new patch made things too easy in my humblest of opinions). Hopefully the first few EPs will work well with the base game, and with each other.
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

Just to let you guys know, this game pack has been released! Currently downloading it now. :)
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Abby how is it? Best parts? Worth the money? Details!
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

Okay so i really havnt had much time to play it - Ive only been on one short vacation so far.
The new 'world' is BEAUTIFUL, the scenery is absolutley amazing. Theres options to rent little cabins, or a campground where you can sleep in tents. It is very much like the previous 'vacation' packs but just one place they can go on vacation. They can vacation upto 7 days! Sims still age whilst on vacation (something that i like!) and can actually die on vacation (one of my sims died of old age.. boo :( ) Im assuming they'll also age up if its their birthday whilst there aswell... Lots of new interactions such as star gazing, cloud gazing, they can all gather around the fire and tell stories and sing songs. Theres a new trait, squeamish which i havnt used yet. And a new outdoor-somethingorother aspiration which ive just given my sim and looks neat! Alot of it is based around having to be on vacation though. Theres alot of things to collect in this new world, such as unidentified plants etc and new species of fish! And fireflys! I havnt really had chance to explore the new herbology skill yet, but from what ive seen of it does look awesome. Basically gathering ingredients to make potions!

Theres alot of new clothes and hairstyles which i love, i was getting bored of the same old hairstyles! So, thats my review so far. I think it was worth the money, definitley adds a new aspect to the game!
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I just bought and installed the new game pack. I haven't had a chance to play yet, and I'm not sure how much time I will have just because of homework and stuff, but I'm hoping to mess around with it in the next day or two.
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

Like, its TOTALLY better than the stuck packs we got with previous games!
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Any chance of getting a few photo in the photo threads? I'd love to see a bit of it.
Abby
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Abby »

I'll go ahead and post some now!
Avery

Post by Avery »

I'm still not sure if it's worth spending $40 (New Zealand dollars) on though... :/
Blaqhawk

Post by Blaqhawk »

The new pack is really good.... As for EA trying to break out of old labels... its difficult for them to truly break out of old habits. I feel they are trying to slowly break out of the cocoon they stuffed themselves into for the past 10 years.

But the pack is as Abby says, really good buy, also replaces the old "main screen" scenes for most part that you see after initial startup.
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

The replacement of the "main screen" is in the normal game, too. I haven't bought outdoor retreat, but the camping stuff is on the menu.

Based on what you have said it sounds like it is worth the money, but I'm still wary. Is this EA's way of getting more people to buy stuff packs? By inserting actual useful stuff? I should really be resigned to the fact that sims is an expensive game at this point, but I digress. I agree with what several people have mentioned where sims games seem rather incomplete until a few expansions come out. There just isn't much you can do at this point, so it's really exciting to be having more content coming out. (Hopefully that will include toddlers soon. *crosses fingers*)

Anyway, do you suppose that there will be other game packs with other vacation areas in the future?

Return to “Sims 4 Chat”