Changing Surname After Marriage?

SummerSnows

Changing Surname After Marriage?

Post by SummerSnows »

I'm sure this has been discussed/resolved already, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere. So, I haven't played TS4 extensively, but I've had a couple of marriages and in TS2/3 (and presumably TS1), the sim who doesn't initiate the marriage will take their spouse's surname. This does not seem to happen in TS4, where both sims keep their original surnames and I was wondering if there is an (easy) way to fix this?

I suppose the saving grace is that you can actually choose the surname of their kids, but still.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Changing Surname After Marriage?

Post by Teresa »

At this point, Sims 4 does not automatically change the surnames, and I have not yet seen a mod to make it happen. I think there is a cheat to enter CAS after the marriage and adjust the name.
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
lumasong

Post Counts

Post by lumasong »

Yep, you have to use "testingCheats on", then "cas.fulleditmode" - then you can shift-click your sim and change anything about them, including their names. HOWEVER I've not done it myself because I've read it can set parent/children relationships to 'siblings'. I'd have to actually try it out to learn more.
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Ugh, that seems so goofy. I hope they add this functionality in the future. Maybe when they get married you get the name pop up like you do with a new baby, so you can change the last name IF you choose.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

That is what I want - a popup like naming a baby
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
lumasong

Post Counts

Post by lumasong »

I remember having a mod for Sims 2 that would pop up and let me choose whether to take the name of one or the other Sim, or keep the original names. I definitely wish there was something here. I know not everyone wants to change the names of their Sims, but I tend to be traditional and would really like the option without having to cheat (and potentially mess things up).
SummerSnows

Post by SummerSnows »

Rhea wrote:Ugh, that seems so goofy. I hope they add this functionality in the future. Maybe when they get married you get the name pop up like you do with a new baby, so you can change the last name IF you choose.
This seems like the best solution to me. The "sim who doesn't initiate the marriage takes their spouse's surname" only really works if both sims are controllable, which is obviously not always the case!

I mean, I'm not holding my breath for EA doing it, but I'm gathering that this is something that irks a lot of people so a mod to do this will no doubt pop up sooner or later.
Rhea
Palmer's Minions
Palmer's Minions

Post Counts

Post by Rhea »

Yep, either that or something similar will pop up in a ep or patch eventually. I'm pretty happy with how EA has been handling the requests for new features & fixing things in TS4.

Return to “Sims 4 Help!”