[TS4: OFftS] Alien Adoption Challenge (COMPLETE 04/01/20)

Forum rules
Congratulations on completing your challenge!
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Re: [TS4] OFftS- Alien Adoption Challenge [Last update 21/12

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims wrote:
Spoiler:
It's very interesting to hear things from Buck's perspective. Being kind isn't a weakness, but I can understand how Tank is worried that others might exploit that in Buck.
108sims- Thanks for reading and telling me your thoughts!
Spoiler:
I'm glad you noticed that, because it shows how Buck is very much stuck in the middle- Ripp would have been the one to teach him kindness isn't a weakness, but Tank's outlook is that you have to stand your ground or people will walk all over you. Ripp has taught Buck to be selfless and Tank has tried to teach him to prioritise himself. Neither of the older brothers are always right, though- Ripp's selflessness doesn't always do very well for him.
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Re: [TS4] OFftS- Alien Adoption Challenge [Last update 22/12

Post by LuckyDuck »

Thank you so far to all of the people who read or commented. It's overwhelming to know I have so much support for my first Sims challenge/Sims written project.

Chapter 2 is now up!
Chapter 3 is now up!
Last edited by LuckyDuck on December 22nd, 2019, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
108sims
Origin ID: 108sims

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by 108sims »

Spoiler:
Yeah I really like that you've shown that both Ripp and Tank aren't all good and aren't all bad.

Poor Ripp I know he agreed to the pregnancy to keep Buck safe, but I also feel like it wasn't fully consensual because the aliens guilted him/kind of backed him into a corner.

It's so sweet that Olivia seems happy with the baby, and I really love her dynamic with Ripp.

I feel like Ripp telling Buck he went through with the pregnancy puts a lot of unwanted guilty and pressure on Buck? I know I'd feel horrible and like someone was going to far if they did that to protect me.

I suppose Ripp is a bit self destructive in his attempts to help others. He shows kindness, but Buck and PT9 are right, he needs to be nice to himself.

Child Olivia is cute! She's such a sweetheart too.

I always thought the little alien baby suit was cute. Welcome baby Jack!

Ripp certainly is in for a wild ride with these two.
[align=center]Image
ImageImageImageImage[/align]
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah I really like that you've shown that both Ripp and Tank aren't all good and aren't all bad.

Poor Ripp I know he agreed to the pregnancy to keep Buck safe, but I also feel like it wasn't fully consensual because the aliens guilted him/kind of backed him into a corner.

It's so sweet that Olivia seems happy with the baby, and I really love her dynamic with Ripp.

I feel like Ripp telling Buck he went through with the pregnancy puts a lot of unwanted guilty and pressure on Buck? I know I'd feel horrible and like someone was going to far if they did that to protect me.

I suppose Ripp is a bit self destructive in his attempts to help others. He shows kindness, but Buck and PT9 are right, he needs to be nice to himself.

Child Olivia is cute! She's such a sweetheart too.

I always thought the little alien baby suit was cute. Welcome baby Jack!

Ripp certainly is in for a wild ride with these two.
108sims- Thanks so much for your continued reading and your analysis as well! It means a lot.
Spoiler:
I’m glad you’re noticing how all the blurred moral lines are unfurling at the moment- everyone’s actions are questionable at the moment, and for me the real victim in all this is Buck. Ripp’s intentions aren’t to pressure his younger brother, but everything he’s done to try and protect Buck lately has put a fair bit of pressure on him. Buck is even starting to question if he’s doing the right thing- not telling Buzz and Tank about their grandson/nephew. (Think I accidentally wrote ‘niece’ in the story but I guess that was when they didn’t know the sex of it : p

Olivia is a welcome break from all the Grunt family drama, and she loves Ripp without question- when she’s older, she will want to question her origins though. Ripp’s inability to look after himself will start to affect him quite badly in some of the upcoming stuff...and Jack Grunt is just plain adorable.

I’m so glad you spotted that with Xira as well- that she did almost guilt trip him into doing something that had a half decent chance of killing him. Maybe the aliens’ agendas aren’t all good after all. Ripp will come to realise that not everything in life is Tank or Buzz’s fault- even though he tolerated a lot of emotional abuse from them, maybe he will have to try and sort out the troubles of the past- not forgiveness, but setting it straight for the future on what will happen with Buck and such. After all.
Thanks so much for your comments and for reading!
Jase
Origin ID: JaseSims

Post by Jase »

Great story!
I've only had the time to read chapter 1, but I'm hooked and will definitely up to read more when I have some free time! :)
Start from the beginning at Jase's Sims on Tumblr.
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

Jase- Thanks so much for the comment and for reading! I really appreciate all the feedback I’m getting on my first SimLit project. It’s made me realise just how fun it is playing out premades’ lives. Also there’s alot of interesting fan headcanons surrounding the Grunt family as well.
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

Spoiler:
Welcome, Jack!
These last two chapters were so beautifully and evocatively written!
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

bookloverblue wrote:
Spoiler:
Welcome, Jack!
These last two chapters were so beautifully and evocatively written!
bookloverblue- Thank you so much! It's safe to say they were bloody hard to write so I appreciate your feedback and keeping up with the story, I really appreciate it.
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

Chapter 4 is now up and ready!
108sims

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: [TS4] OFftS- Alien Adoption Challenge [Last update 23/12

Post by 108sims »

Spoiler:
You're right the one who's the real victim is Buck. I felt bad for him since he was so worried about Ripp.

I liked how you left the details of alien birth a mystery.

I'm not sure how Tank and Buzz would react honestly. Part of me feels that it's better they don't know. Just because the alien baby is family doesn't mean they'll be thrilled to know him. As we've seen it's not like just being family matters to them with the way Buck and Ripp are treated. I don't think they'd hurt Jack or Olivia physically, but I think they'd just be safer away from the rest of the Grunt family.

Poor Olivia, but every kid goes through this a bit when they get a new sibling.

I'm glad Olivia has other alien friends to talk to at school. It's sad that they all have to keep their disguises on.

With everything Ripp's been through, he's probably had symptoms of depression before this even all started, but his situation is making it worse.
[align=center]Image
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims wrote:
Spoiler:
You're right the one who's the real victim is Buck. I felt bad for him since he was so worried about Ripp.

I liked how you left the details of alien birth a mystery.

I'm not sure how Tank and Buzz would react honestly. Part of me feels that it's better they don't know. Just because the alien baby is family doesn't mean they'll be thrilled to know him. As we've seen it's not like just being family matters to them with the way Buck and Ripp are treated. I don't think they'd hurt Jack or Olivia physically, but I think they'd just be safer away from the rest of the Grunt family.

Poor Olivia, but every kid goes through this a bit when they get a new sibling.

I'm glad Olivia has other alien friends to talk to at school. It's sad that they all have to keep their disguises on.

With everything Ripp's been through, he's probably had symptoms of depression before this even all started, but his situation is making it worse.
108sims- Thanks so, so much for following my story and for all of your insight into the characters as well- it's highly appreciated :)
Spoiler:
Yeah, I would agree with you on that- Buck isn't sure that hiding it is a good idea, but if I were in Ripp's situation I wouldn't let Buzz or Tank near the kids purely because of their hatred of aliens. TBH, I might have to make those Alien children and have them come over the house at some point in-game! And you're totally right- being part of an emotionally-abusive household for years has made him hide everything, but everything is just making it worse. The small plus, side, however, is now he's away from Buzz and Tank he doesn't need to hide his emotions anymore- and he's allowed to admit to himself 'I'm not okay, I can try and do something about this'.
Thanks again ^u^
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

Beautiful chapter!
Spoiler:
As someone who lives with depression, I found that closing part especially poignant.

The dilemna about whether or not Tank and Buzz should know about Olivia and Jack is a clever plot point. I feel Ripp should just make a clean break, but that's hard on his loving heart. And I worry for Buck, too, poor boy - your character portrayals are very empathetic and evocative.
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

bookloverblue- You are a sweetheart! Thank you so much for following the story :)
bookloverblue wrote:Beautiful chapter!
Spoiler:
As someone who lives with depression, I found that closing part especially poignant.

The dilemna about whether or not Tank and Buzz should know about Olivia and Jack is a clever plot point. I feel Ripp should just make a clean break, but that's hard on his loving heart. And I worry for Buck, too, poor boy - your character portrayals are very empathetic and evocative.
Spoiler:
I'm glad it resonates with you in a way that makes sense, but I'm sorry to hear you have similar issues, and I do hope you are doing well. I'm going super-careful with how I portray depression and doing my research, because it's something a lot of writers- even published ones- screw up on. I get sick of bad portrayals of mental health. People either glamorise it or just get it plain wrong. So if you notice anything that looks plain garbage on that front in this story, then don't be afraid to tell me :) Yeah, it's a bit of a moral dilemma. I would say Ripp shouldn't do it, but the issue is that Ripp is battling with the 'they're still family' mentality. The issue with emotionally-abusive people is that they seem to leave one with a feeling that they still owe them, despite the fact they treat one terribly.
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

Another chapter is up! This time it's another interlude. EDIT: And chapter 6 is here!

Chapter 5 Interlude- Tank
Chapter 5
108sims

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: [TS4] OFftS- Alien Adoption Challenge [Updated 24/12/19]

Post by 108sims »

Spoiler:
Ugh Tank found out. I feel like this won't end well. I don't really think Ripp took advantage of Buzz's deteriorating mental state. It was way more impulsive on Ripp's part, and he wasn't even sure they'd believe his reason for leaving. I'm sure it looks that way to Tank though because he's probably protect of Buzz. At least Tank didn't notice they were alien kids.

Aw I love the dog!

Tank is still kind of awful just because Buck's a teenager doesn't mean he can treat him like crap now too. He's still a kid. I'm glad Buck stood up for himself and hopefully knocked some sense into Tank, or at least gave him an idea of what not being Tank feels like living in the Grunt household, since Buck and Ripp are/were definitely treated way worse than Tank, the favored son.

The scene with Tank and Buzz was nice. Of course then there is the pressure of Tank being the favored child, staying that way. That's a whole other problem of it's own. Basically all of them have emotional baggage from living in that house.

Poor Ripp having to explain his depression to his kids and also kind of hide it from them, so they don't worry, which is hard to do when they can read his emotions.

I think it's a good idea for Ripp to at least try to talk to someone. It might help, it might not, but at least trying doesn't hurt. It's so sad that there's still such a stigma around mental illness, and people just don't understand sometimes. I've gone through that myself with depression and anxiety, so that part hit close to home.

Maybe Olivia caught more fish because she's a bear. Bears are good at that sort of thing. :)

It's nice that Ripp got to talk to Lyla, even if it was only a dream.

Ripp's going to have to have a long sit down with Olivia (and Jack really) about their family. I can't believe Olivia's going to be a teenager already!
[align=center]Image
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims wrote:
Spoiler:
Ugh Tank found out. I feel like this won't end well. I don't really think Ripp took advantage of Buzz's deteriorating mental state. It was way more impulsive on Ripp's part, and he wasn't even sure they'd believe his reason for leaving. I'm sure it looks that way to Tank though because he's probably protect of Buzz. At least Tank didn't notice they were alien kids.

Aw I love the dog!

Tank is still kind of awful just because Buck's a teenager doesn't mean he can treat him like crap now too. He's still a kid. I'm glad Buck stood up for himself and hopefully knocked some sense into Tank, or at least gave him an idea of what not being Tank feels like living in the Grunt household, since Buck and Ripp are/were definitely treated way worse than Tank, the favored son.

The scene with Tank and Buzz was nice. Of course then there is the pressure of Tank being the favored child, staying that way. That's a whole other problem of it's own. Basically all of them have emotional baggage from living in that house.

Poor Ripp having to explain his depression to his kids and also kind of hide it from them, so they don't worry, which is hard to do when they can read his emotions.

I think it's a good idea for Ripp to at least try to talk to someone. It might help, it might not, but at least trying doesn't hurt. It's so sad that there's still such a stigma around mental illness, and people just don't understand sometimes. I've gone through that myself with depression and anxiety, so that part hit close to home.

Maybe Olivia caught more fish because she's a bear. Bears are good at that sort of thing. :)

It's nice that Ripp got to talk to Lyla, even if it was only a dream.

Ripp's going to have to have a long sit down with Olivia (and Jack really) about their family. I can't believe Olivia's going to be a teenager already!
108sims- I love hearing your thoughts on my story. Thank you so so much for keeping up with it as much as you do- it's nice to think I have a few regular readers, whether it's those who comment or just casual readers. :) As usual, my spoiler-tagged ramble ensues!
Spoiler:
I do plan to have a little bit with the hotline and such- and you're right, the stigma for mental health is still awful. It doesn't help that Ripp has had to stay silent about any of that stuff ever since he was a teenager, and also men get the added brunt of being told to 'man up' all the time, and told to hide their feelings- something that probably happened a lot under the iron fist of General Buzz Grunt. Although he was understanding of the military and the mental health problems that often result from that line of work, I am sure Buzz would think that anything outside of a military context would just be 'weakness' of some sort. You're right- Ripp didn't take advantage of Buzz at all, but as you say Tank not only hates Ripp's guts but is very protective of his father. Much like his father, he's helped wreck the family he swore to himself to protect.

And yeah, Ripp tries his best to hide it from others but it doesn't help that the aliens can sense people's emotions and personality. I'm also glad you see the extra layer of the 'emotional baggage' in the Grunt household. You might remember Ripp saying something in the story (or it might be in the character profiles) that Ripp doesn't know if Tank is like he is out of 'fear or devotion', and of course he'd never admit it but Tank DOES NOT want to let down Buzz- because he's scared that he might end up treated the way Ripp and Buck were. Both General Buzz and Tank are doing something common in real life- wanting to last-minute clean up things that have been almost irreparably broken.

IKR! I can't believe she's already a teen- I might have to make a sort of plot jump and have Buck be a little older as well. Also I still haven't started building the damn rocket for the Challenge aspect -.- Ripp almost has enough money for one at least! His garden is actually earning him more than his artwork. It's oddly heartwarming watching your Sims grow up. And Ripp is almost a few days away from being a fully-fledged adult as well. Hopefully soon we'll get back into the aliens' side of things as well.

I was going to make a bear-catching-fish joke and I completely forgot to as well! XC
I hope you have a great Christmas tomorrow < 3
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: [TS4] OFftS- Alien Adoption Challenge [Updated 25/12/19]

Post by 108sims »

I really enjoy your story! I hope you had a great Christmas as well!
Spoiler:
It's sad when Erwin's the most normal resident in Strangerville (though I do love him a lot). Your take on Strangerville is interesting. I love that Johnny is in the story now.

Buzz's interlude makes the aliens seem a lot more sinister. If it came to a war, I could see them using their powers to their advantage. I, at this point, don't think the aliens want to go to war. Yeah Buzz I just don't see you being able to repair those relationships. Lyla was also a way better person than him, so I'm not sure he'll see her in the afterlife. Might be going to a different place.

I'm glad you pointed out the wait time to see a therapist, even if it due to the fact Ripp can't leave his house. It's so hard to actually get an appointment even with a referral.

It is good for Ripp to start out with small goals. Depression has days of ups and downs, and little goals are the best with being able to manage it.

I never even thought of Ripp having to handle what happens with raising a teenage girl, especially since he spent most of his life in a household of all men.

Jack sounds like Erwin.

I'm glad Ripp told Olivia the truth. Nothing good ever comes from hiding it.

It's sweet that Olivia baked Ripp a cake.

And yay they finallly have the rocket!

I'm glad Ripp was able to realize he did all that work himself to pull himself out of a dark place. It's a lot to be proud of.
[align=center]Image
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

How do you find the time to produce such amazing writing so quickly?!
And belated Merry Christmas to you!
Spoiler:
It was strange to feel sympathy for Buzz due to his memory loss, as he's usually such a hardass character. It's a reminder that he's merely human. He has given everything to the Army, and does he really have that much left, since his family is so broken?

The Lyla sequence was very moving, and I enjoyed the Tank plot point: clever uses of random events that occur in the game. The (Ripp) Grunt family dynamic is awesome, especially the conversations between the kids.

And thanks for the shout out! Out of all the premades, I really love Erwin Pries, just as I still love the Curious Brothers. (Not to mention the Beakers - so evilly fun! - and Lincoln Broadsheet from the console games.) Vive Les Geeks!
LuckyDuck

Post Counts

Post by LuckyDuck »

108sims- Thanks again for your lovely comment ^u^
Spoiler:
Oh my god, maybe Erwin has a conspiracy blog and Jack has been reading it? Might have to make that a thing. XD Yeah, I figured I would include a little about therapy and bouncing back because sometimes people who write about mental health in stories don't ever mention that it's okay to get help and it's good to have little goals! Also I feel like IRL, therapy is still considered a 'taboo' thing so it's good to show it a little bit. I'm going careful to make sure I portray it in a realistic light- with its many ups and downs. And yeah, I was on a waiting list years ago before my work situation meant I could no longer do it (I was on it due to what might have been a potential anxiety/mild depression problem- I never found out if it was or not)- it was 38 weeks!

Yeah I didn't actually think about that until Olivia became a teen. Maybe Ripp ought to get back into the dating game and find her a mother! :P Yeah, I'm currently really liking his character growth at this point. Being away from Buzz has made him realise what he's actually capable of when he's not having his dreams crushed 24/7. And yeah, I always hooked up Ripp with Johnny in the few times I played TS2, so I had to add him in somewhere. : P
[hr]

bookloverblue- THANK YOU so much for your kind words!
Spoiler:
To answer your question- With me, I go through 'phases' of having obsessions with pet projects. I'm normally a very bored, un-excitable person, but I go through phases of obsession with projects, whether it's games, writing or drawings- those obsessive drives are the only times where I'm actually gut-happy as opposed to just lugging along really. IDK why I'm like that. It sounds a little dull but it's actually a good thing- it's why I've been banging out chapter after chapter and it's what's kept me in a good mood. That, and The Sims 4 is my main sort of 'chill out' game. It's less chill trying to do a challenge, but still! Haha!

I'm really glad you like the portrayal of the family. It's been fun trying to write the dialogue and trying to dress everyone in a way that makes you realise everyone is gradually changing and growing up. I thought you'd appreciate the Erwin sequence I put in for you : P
Thanks to both of you for keeping up with this story. I really appreciate it!

Return to “Sims 4 Completed Stories”