SimNaNoWriMo 2017 Hints, Tips, and Questions

Mauricette
Steam ID: coag27
Origin ID: DiamondCoyote

Post Counts

Re: SimNaNoWriMo 2017 Hints, Tips, and Questions

Post by Mauricette »

Are the medals for this years SimWriMo the same as last?
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Hey Mauricette, I saw this on the other thread - Teresa's going to put them up soon! It's going to be awesome, I'm sure! :yes: :celebration:
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

We have new ones for this year, Teresa wasn't feeling well so she hasn't put them up yet.
Mauricette
Steam ID: coag27
Origin ID: DiamondCoyote

Post Counts

Post by Mauricette »

ah, ty guys ^ ^
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

Just a quick question before I sign up. Can we sign up with a legacy/challenge we're already doing or do we have to start something new? So far, I'm working on a DiFT and a BACC and I wonder if those qualities.
ImageImage
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

Iya wrote:Just a quick question before I sign up. Can we sign up with a legacy/challenge we're already doing or do we have to start something new? So far, I'm working on a DiFT and a BACC and I wonder if those qualities.
Yes you can use an existing legacy / challenge
you don't have to start something new for this
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Jesslb429
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Location: Miles past sanity and a few feet from full blown loon
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Jesslb429 »

Just a quick question. I'm supposed to get my gaming computer back by the time September starts...but plans can often go awry. What is the latest I can submit to change the project I'm working on? I could really use a kick in the butt when it comes to The Zane Legacy, but if i don't have my usual computer, I'll have to change. I could just stick to it and just get a later start, but just in case, I would like to know the latest possible date so I can switch gears and get that set up.
ImageImageImageImageImage
26 Little Failures The Zany Zanes: An OWBC{Completed}
"Vastly complex while still being a little stupid"
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

@Jess:

If it's not back before September starts and you get it a few days afterwards, it's alright. You have the whole month to post updates. :D
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

@Jess, and I imagine if you want to change your story up that's fine so long as you haven't started submitting updates for one once September starts!
(just taking a guess if that's what you meant too)

Good luck getting your computer!
Jesslb429
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Jesslb429 »

Livvie, that's essentially what I meant. I could only manage one update with the Zanes anyway, and that is just because it was a work in progress when my computer freaked out. I would have to create a brand new challenge. I can't get to any of my files, even if they are all still there. I was hoping to get it back soon because they have to do a full backup and reset. It'll take me a week just to get it back in working order once I can get back in. But if the distribution of funds keeps moving elsewhere, I'll never get it back because we won't be able to afford the repair.

And now I'm panicked that when they do the reset my Sims files will get lost. :peekaboo: :heavybreathing: Today has not been a good anxiety day...

But thanks for the responses guys!!
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Jesslb429 wrote:Livvie, that's essentially what I meant. I could only manage one update with the Zanes anyway, and that is just because it was a work in progress when my computer freaked out. I would have to create a brand new challenge. I can't get to any of my files, even if they are all still there. I was hoping to get it back soon because they have to do a full backup and reset. It'll take me a week just to get it back in working order once I can get back in. But if the distribution of funds keeps moving elsewhere, I'll never get it back because we won't be able to afford the repair.

And now I'm panicked that when they do the reset my Sims files will get lost. :peekaboo: :heavybreathing: Today has not been a good anxiety day...

But thanks for the responses guys!!
:hug:
Everything will be ok! If you need any help with Sims stuff and tech stuff feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good with the Sims 3 tech troubleshooting.
Yes in the meantime though, if you end up starting with one story and need to switch, I honestly don't see a problem with doing it mid-September! Just so long as you know that whatever you did for the original submitted story wouldn't count towards your end September goal.
Like, if you did 1 Zane chapter and realized you couldn't go further... then wanted to switch, you would start from 0 with the next story, not from however far you got with the Zanes + that story. Does that make sense?

Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Jesslb429
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Jesslb429 »

Thanks for the offer! But I can usually get myself out of most sim related jams. Most, not all. And I'm currently on our family computer that wouldn't be able to handle TS3 nearly at the level I need. I'm mostly goofing with TS2 while my personal computer is out of order, but again thank you so much for the offer. :hug:

And what you described is pretty much what I thought the policy last year was. I know people even started to join in after the month started. I was just wondering if there was some kind of deadline this year and I was honestly panicking. I'm the kind of person who feels immense guilt when I have nothing to really be guilty about, which should say how badly I feel when I actually do something wrong. Anyway, I just didn't want to pop-up at the eleventh hour saying I need to change this thing and be a huge bother. Trust me, it's mostly my personal hang ups. And I honestly wouldn't want to start the month and switch over anyway. I have too many control issues to not know exactly what I'm doing when September first rolls around. Besides, SimNaNoWriMo, for me, is a motivation to force myself out of whatever hole I've started crawling into and commit to doing something I honestly love. So having a laser focus on one challenge/legacy for the entire time gives me a better chance to reach the higher goals and to keep my motivation up, even if everything else feels lost. Without it last year, I would have never finished my OWBC. The motivation spilled over and renewed my love this. I'm hoping to get another dose this year :) But if I have to start something new, I'm good with that too. I'm always flirting with adding another thing that I won't finish ;)

But thank you for your kindness, Livvie. The whole thing has been the crazy frustrating topper to just a whirlwind of things I'm having a tough time with. I'm looking forward to the event.If I have to do it through my second favorite entry in the franchise instead of my first, that is no huge problem. That margin of love isn't big or even medium sized. So I'm going to keep on trucking along.

LAST THING: I want to apologize for clogging this thread with my emotional laundry. I seem to do this where ever I go. I've been trying to stop it. It's selfish of me and inconsiderate to others. I don't think my computer trouble counts as a tip or hint.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Don't apologize! Your question was a good one and I'm glad we could help you! :hug: If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I'm sure you're not the only one who wondered that!
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

I have updated the Master Update post, to include last year's guidelines for what your update posts should contain. Let me know if there's any questions! :)
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Re this post from the sign up thread:
Ani-Mei wrote:Everyone has been added!

REMINDER:

There's still 3 days left to sign up!
I thought it was going to work like last year where you could sign up mid-month, you just had fewer days to do the updates in. I'm leaning towards one of my stories, but I haven't fully committed yet. And I'd rather wait until I'm sure on which I want to use before signing up. And that might not happen before Friday. And I'd rather not have to pick a story and then regret it half-way through the month when my steam runs out for the one I pick. I don't want to have to force myself to work on one story if my inspiration decides to come for another story.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Three days left in this month, I know there will be more sign ups after September starts. Just in case people like me forget what day it is. :wink:
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I'm considering signing up, but I don't use livejournal or dreamwidth or anything to post my Sims stuff. I use tumblr, which makes it a little bit more challenging to post updates here (hence why I haven't been around much for a long time). How would I go about doing an update for this? I don't want to add a random tag to my posts just to be able to make it easy to find the posts, but I think that's about all I could do...
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

@Simsterlyrock:

I don't know about tumblrs but most people make a WordPress account for updates and link that to the updates. If Tumblr is like a blog site then it should work with a link just like any other. But don't quote me on that, I have never used it so I don't know how it works.
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

simsterlyrock wrote:I'm considering signing up, but I don't use livejournal or dreamwidth or anything to post my Sims stuff. I use tumblr, which makes it a little bit more challenging to post updates here (hence why I haven't been around much for a long time). How would I go about doing an update for this? I don't want to add a random tag to my posts just to be able to make it easy to find the posts, but I think that's about all I could do...
I post my WYDC updates on tumblr, and I tag them with the wydc-update-#, and then post a link to boolprop of that tag on my tumblr blog, with /chrono on the end so that they display in chronological order. (For example: http://pixelatedollhouse.tumblr.com/tag ... e-1/chrono)

Return to “SimNaWriMo Archive”