Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

SimNaNoWriMo Extreme Beta Testing Mode

Post by Ani-Mei »

Hello fellow Boolproprians,

There are amazing turn outs for this year's SimNo and since it is in the third year, I thought that for next year's fourth SimNo we should introduce another level of difficulty.

It's called SimNaNoWriMo Extreme!

What is it you ask, well currently there are three achievable levels for SimNo; Bronze, Silver, and Gold. With SimNo Extreme there will be another level added Platinum. To achieve a Platinum level medal there are three criteria that MUST be met in order to win it, those three criteria are:

30 Updates
600 Pictures (20 pictures per update)
30,000 Words (1000 words per update)
For narrative/observational type stories

15 Updates
600 Pictures (40 pictures per update)
30,000 Words (2000 words per update)
For plot-heavy stories

Now only getting one or two of the three will NOT win you the Platinum medal, SimNo Extreme is meant to really challenge you and to make you work hard for it. I know, this may not be for all of you as there are many variations of writers and photographers in this event. If you want a real challenge then SimNo Extreme is your jam. Julie has already offered to be one of the beta testers for this medal and she is even planning to create the Platinum medal herself so props to her for that. :drinks:

This announcement thread will also be open for questions and comments as well.I look forward to hearing your questions, comments and feedback about this beta testing mode for SimNaNoWriMo. ^^

*EDIT* Added criteria for plot-heavy stories. These criteria are still in the planning stages so feel free to add whatever you like to the conversation about them.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: SimNaNoWriMo Extreme Beta Testing Mode

Post by Livvielove »

My question is, and this doesn't say here, but would it be possible to spread this across multiple stories? I mean this only because 30 updates in one month is SUPER AWESOME and I applaud it, but at the same point... it's also a LOT OF UPDATES and would likely discount anyone who has an actual story-story, meaning this would only be available for people who did more narrative challenges (I mean if you can do it with a story that's fantastic, but I definitely couldn't). If I could spread this across like two of my stories (in this case Factions and Willow) and then a challenge (like my Sims 4 Legacy or my Short Dynasty), I could see the 30 update quota being met.

IN THEORY, 30 updates is 30 updates; which is still an insane amount regardless of where those 30 updates are headed.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I would say it would have to be for one story, unless it means that no one will ever win it then we could probably adjust it. If you did split it then the two stories would have to be about the same thing, such as if you were doing a Dual Legacy where you have two founders and each founder is the opposite of the other so you could do 15 for one founder and 15 for the other and it would count for 30, they would have to start from the same place like siblings or cousins and they branch out in different directions.
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

This actually might be something I'd be interested in attempting. At first glance 30,000 words seems like a lot, but that's really only 1,000 words an update, which is around what I normally do, maybe a bit higher. As long as I did it with my Double Legacy, it would be super easy for me to do, I think.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

It is a bit overwhelming to see those numbers, but even with 30 updates it's still only 20 pics per update to reach 600 pictures so it's like the current medal levels now, only there's 3x as many updates required to get it. So far there have been some questions revolving around the 30 updates, plot heavy stories, and the amount of information that goes into it, which is why there's this beta testing thread so we can get it all worked out for next year when this level is officially released. An example off the top of my head as an alternative if 30 updates is too much for say the plot-heavy stories:

40 Pictures (per update)
15 Updates
2000 Words (per update)
Total: 600 pics and 30,000 words

There are ways to divide up the required criteria and still have the goal for the month and the medal to be 600 pics and 30,000 words.
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

When you break it down it is a lot easier than you might think for narative type challenges

30 updates ... that is one a day
30,000 words ... that is 1,000 an update
600 pictures ... that is 20 an update.

For heavy plotted stories ... that is a totally different ball game
Like Livvie says ... it is pretty much impossible to do the 30 updates.

I can walk it very easily with my narrative challenge (back to the ugli past) which I am hoping to prove ^^
but with my Rainbowacy Through Colourblind Eyes it is a total impossibility that I would not even attempt!!
- when my average chapters are approximately 8,000 words with 15 photo's ... 30 updates of that = 240,000 words and just 450 pictures
I would need the whole of next year to write it :lol:

But it is doable for everyone with the right challenge :thup:
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Yes, I would say the 40/15/2000 ratio would work out for the plot heavy stories. It would mean adding more pictures and less text for a plot heavy update but still work out a way to get across the same information you would want in that update. That's how I would see it if I chose to do this level, I would be taking a lot of different angles on my chosen pictures in that case which is fine it makes things more interesting for a viewer than a lot of reading. Because a Sims story involves a lot of still frame images so you have show and not tell as much unless you want to make videos for every chapter. But that's just me, everyone has their own styles and plot points to get across.
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Ani - I really like the 40/15/2000 ratio - that's something I could DEFINITELY see as a feasible thing for my stories. Not a cakewalk like the other ones - but a legitimate challenge. 15 updates in a month! :O That's something to strive for! :lol: I could definitely be into that!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Cool. So I'll add the 40/15/2000 ratio for plot-heavy stories and keep the 20/30/1000 for narrative stories if others still want to try for Platinum. It's coming together slowly. :D
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

that is an awesome compromise :applause:
now everyone should be happy and able to go for it :D
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Awesome. Then we'll officially introduce it for next year, we could keep the same medal and still use it even if we change the medal design for 2019.
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

This looks like a great idea for Extreme!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Blamsart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: 76561198311960642
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Blamsart »

(clutches chest) Ho sweet lord that's a challenge indEED

My story requires a lot of preparation, with poses and CC making and world building and CAS navigating. Even on a SUPER FREE month of me doing nothing the most I've managed was 6-8. And that was impressive in itself

15?? I know it's better than 30 but lol I'm still... Ho god, lol I doubt I'll be managing PLATINUM next year

Also in september gosh man....even a challenge I don't know if I could pump out an update a day to get 30 in SEPTEMBER of all months. Platinum is really like the TOP OF THE TOP. The people who get that *nods* will be worthy of much respect.
The Pasta Legacy
TS4 Legacy

Idiot+Insane+Crazy = Idanezy
An ISBI that is both Alphabetacy and Whishacy
help me

Image Image
Blamsart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Blamsart »

Eh I'm commenting again as I've seen lol how everyone seems to have reached a compromise but, um WHY does it have to be all criteria?

As a story-plot writer my chapters are prone to VARYING. I also have an average of 3K words per update, but sometimes it'll fluctuate to 6K. So the challenge of 30K on its own would be a FEASIBLE challenge for me in a month. That would mean about 10 updates minimum, which yes that would REALLY be a strong goal to achieve and not easy and worth a platinum. But even tho I've painstakingly reached my quota, I have to make 20 more updates?

Now the solution might APPEAR simple and that's to SPLIT my chapters to have the 30 update quota, but this is a STORY. I'm not going to start splitting my chapters and WRECKING the flow just for a Simnano challenge. If my chapter reached 4K and 80pics in that update, there was a REASON. A story reason, a flow reason.

I totally get wanting to make it challenging though, but update contents could VARY. So I offer this : Take away the update number criteria. If we only have the picture quota and the word quota, it's still the SAME challenge, but it's a lot friendlier to people with bigger updates.
I'd really like to be able to try this later, so its my suggestion :D

EDIT: On a similar level lol, my challenges I.E. my ISBI challenge, I usually post the update once I've reached 100 pics, so I'd be screwed for that one too if I wanted to stay consistent.
The Pasta Legacy
TS4 Legacy

help me

Image Image
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

It sounds like the plot heavy option is what you're describing not the narrative/observational. If that's how you go, you can easily apply your story, which I assume means your Light the Way to Heaven story to the plot heavy option. If you get everything across in 10 updates with like 60 pictures and 3000 words in them, you've already achieved Platinum hypothetically. If you do then there's no reason why you'd have to stop at 10 updates, say you finish a section of an arc and start the next you don't have cram everything into one update bracket, you would have already achieved Platinum. In other words, you've achieved Platinum with your 10 updates (i.e. 60 pics and 3000 words in one) and you still want to keep the flow going, you could end your arc at say 14 updates and you will have already achieved Platinum. The 15 or 30 updates is a suggested goal to meet there's no rule that says you can't still get it with any multiple of the two. Does that help any?
Blamsart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Blamsart »

Oh then that's perfect!

I just thought because of this part that we HAD to get that update number as well. But if it's already optional, then fantastic!
Ani-Mei wrote: Now only getting one or two of the three will NOT win you the Platinum medal, SimNo Extreme is meant to really challenge you and to make you work hard for it.
The Pasta Legacy
TS4 Legacy

help me

Image Image
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

:O so now you are saying the 30 updates don't have to be met?? After I have just broke my neck to do it :cover:

I personally totally get where Blams is coming from. For writers who do plot stories ... as it is The Extreme (30 updates/600pics/30,000 words) is totally impossible!!!
It does not matter how you break it down and chop it up, it just cant be done!!

Yeah I have done the extreme with Back to the Ugly past meeting the 30 updates/600pic/30,000 with a narrative challenge and that is the only way the 30 updates can be reached.
but I would NEVER be able to do it with Through Colourblind Eyes which is a plotted story.
I did the gold with TCE in 2 updates = 13,000 and those are just normal for me. I did nothing special, just put out two normal chapters. So I would make the 30k requirement with just 5 chapters.
I like most refuse to chop up chapters to suite nano and wreck the story line ... which would mean I would have to put out a 195,000 word piece of writing to put out 30 updates.

and this argument is just going to keep going on and on ... because for me, Blams, Liv and others, the Extreme requirements are just not suitable for what we do. Plotted stories with lengthy chapters.

At the end of the day I don't even get why there has to be update and picture requirements on the extreme, because isn't this Nano thing supposed to be about the WRITING.
The 30,000 words (for most) is challenge enough. So does it really matter how anyone gets there ... as long as they reach the 30,000 words?!
When you do the official Nano it is 50,000 words ... no pictures no updates ... its just about the writing and the word quantity - and really that is how it should be here for the Extreme at least.
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
snazzle
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
Origin ID: Rindoodle

Post Counts

Post by snazzle »

Blamsart wrote: I totally get wanting to make it challenging though, but update contents could VARY. So I offer this : Take away the update number criteria. If we only have the picture quota and the word quota, it's still the SAME challenge, but it's a lot friendlier to people with bigger updates.
I'd really like to be able to try this later, so its my suggestion :D
This is what I would figure too.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

We can work it out I'm sure, this is why we have the beta testing thread. And Julie, I know how hard you worked on your Platinum medal with the 30/20/1000 ratio and I love you for it, :hug: it was a great test run! If we remove the update requirements and still have the pictures and words then it could still work, after all Sims is a visual game and when I write I like to put pictures with it sort of like a still frame picture book you know? Then the medal can just say it requires 600 pictures and 30 000 words which in itself is still challenging. I usually think of the updates like chapters in the picture book I like reading the next chapters if they have interesting story and pictures to go with it. You know the phrase, all roads lead to Rome and the only variable is how you get there. I know with all of us contributing we can get this challenge level ready for release next year. :hugs:

Return to “SimNaWriMo Archive”