Proposed Build a Burg Challenge - with a Twist!

Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Proposed Build a Burg Challenge - with a Twist!

Post by Lorinsv »

Twilightoutside and I brainstormed a version of the Build a City Challenge to add a more realistic, and hopefully achievable, bent to the classic BaCC created by clintcasey. The goal and basic premise are the same, but the scoring is more generous and diverse.

We have listed some basic lots suitable for a growing burg. Most can be earned OR owned, depending on your play preferences.
The map we have outlined below is designed to give you a SM well over the number of playable Sims needed to reach 50000 (254 x 254 = 50176). Change the type of lots and the Lot-to-Sim ratio however you wish.

(ADDITIONS/REVISIONS COLORED IN BLUE)

SCORING:
1) Each community lot/business now counts as 5 SM points. We are keeping the 1 SM point bonus for each 5 community lots/businesses added. Our scenario yields a total of 10 bonus SM points.
2) We eliminated the original University and Business District incentives. In their place is a one-time 10 SM point award for a Business District once your Burg exceeds 25 community lots/businesses.
3) We also added SM points for careers: each non-Uni career generates a total of 2 SM points: 1 for entering the career, and 1 for topping it. Each Uni career gets 4 SM points: 2 for entering and 2 for topping.
If you have all the expansions, the maximum is 42 SM points for non-Uni careers (21 x 2) + 16 SM points for the Uni careers (4 x 4) = 58 possible career-related SM points.
Say you follow our map for 270 SM points + 10 CL bonus + 10 BD bonus + 58 career SM points = 348 total SM points. That means 144 playable Sims will get you to 50000 (348 x 144 = 50112).

TO PLAY:
Start and play as you normally would in a BaCC, following our outline as loosely as you wish.
All phone services retain the original rules, which I believe are population-driven (I'll add the specifics later). Set up any tax structure you wish, however, we did not make taxes a factor. Feel free to change that if you want.
With a few exceptions for logic's sake, community lots can be placed or purchased in any order.
SM points count whether community lots are Earned or Owned. All owned lots must be played to at least Rank 3.
Most careers are open from the beginning, with the exceptions of Law, Law Enforcement and Medical. Even those are relatively easy to open.

THE TWIST (OPTIONAL BUT ENCOURAGED!) - 20 SM POINTS AWARDED FOR FORTITUDE:
Go to the Mega Disaster spoiler at the bottom and follow the instructions. Why? It could be a fun challenge, plus it's fun to read about them in other people's games. Mwaha!
If you add 20 Mega Disaster SM points to our proposed 270 SM points, 10 CL & 10 BD bonus points and 58 career SM points = 368 SM points. This means 136 playable Sims to arrive at 50000 (368 x 136 = 50048).

THINK IT MIGHT BE TOO EASY?
As you can see, even with all the extra SM points we're offering, this is still a very cumbersome challenge. It ain't no cakewalk! Feel free to make it harder if you wish :thup:
Our goal remains to honor the spirit of the BaCC that we love, while accelerating progress and decreasing the repetition, grinding and some of the less realistic aspects of the original challenge.

Thanks for your consideration. Tell us what you think - comments and suggestions are welcome!

FIRST COMMUNITY LOT (MANDATORY - MUST BE EARNED AND THE ONLY ONE THAT CANNOT BE OWNED):
A gathering place, your choice of aesthetics - After 4 households established
Examples:
- Gas station or rest stop with toilets, tables, chairs, and grills
- Bus stop with items for sale: pamphlets, vending machines, cell phone kiosk
- Fishing pond with grills and seating

INITIAL ESSENTIAL:
Convenience store (groceries/fishing gear only) - Convenience store clerk (Level 3) in Slacker career
Café/coffee shop/diner/food stand - Maxed Cooking skill
Pub - Single Sim with 10 friends or a household with 15 friends

EDUCATION:
Elementary school - 5 kids in school
High school - 5 teens in school
Private school - 10 students A+
Private University - Purchase with 1M simoleons, mandatory §10K tuition per student
Public University/Community College - 5000 population, free with 1 scholarship OR §2K without

MUNICIPAL/COMMUNITY BUILDINGS:
City Hall - City Council member (Level 5) in Politics career
Courthouse (opens Law career) - 3 Sims join Criminal career
Police station (opens Law Enforcement career) - First burglary
Fire station - First Fire (not lightning) + learn Fire Prevention life skill
Prison - Patrol Officer (Level 3) in Law Enforcement + Lie Finder (Crimal) career reward
Medical clinic (opens Medical career) - Sim gets sick + learn Physiology life skill
Hospital - Surgeon (Level 7) in Medical career + Surgical Station (Medical) + Bio-Tech Station (Science) career rewards
Military base - General (Level 10) in Military career

CONSTRUCTION:
Construction site/building supplies - Construction manager (Level 4) in Architecture career
Nursery/landscape supplies - Gold gardening badge

PERENNIALS:
Law firm - Divorce + Personal Injury Atty (Level 6) in Law career
Church - Learn Couples Counseling, Anger Management and Lifetime Happiness life skills
Wedding chapel - First wedding
Cemetery - 3 deaths (not counting pets) + Obituary Writer (Level 5) in Journalism career
Bank - Business Tycoon (Level 10) in Business career
Abandoned warehouse/crime den - Smuggler (Level 9) in Criminal career + Counterfeit machine aspiration reward

OTHER SERVICES:
Adoption agency - Social worker visit + learn Parenting life skill
Animal shelter - Adopt a stray

PUBLIC ENRICHMENT:
Library - 500 population
Park - Visit the Nature hobby lot + AN ADDITIONAL PARK EARNED FOR EVERY 4 HOUSEHOLDS ADDED (THANKS, ANNE!)
Pool/skating rink/soccer field/basketball court - Maxed Sports enthusiasm
Sports complex/stadium - 2500 population + All Star (Level 5) in Athletic career
Museum - Relic Liberator (Level 5) in Adventure career + dig up a treasure chest

BASIC RETAIL:
Full grocery store - Full crop of fruits and veggies + gold fishing badge
Clothing store - Gold sewing badge
Furniture/appliance store - Total net worth of households greater than §250K
Electronics store - Maxed Mechanical skill
BIG BOX STORE - Achieve the Five Top-Level Businesses LTW

SUGGESTED COMMUNITY LOTS OR OWNED BUSINESSES:
Florist - Gold flower arranging badge
Bakery - Win baking contest
Hair salon - Gold styling badge
Juice bar - Make every juice
Art gallery - Sell a masterpiece
Jewelry store - Achieve the Earn §100K LTW
Pottery shop - Gold pottery badge
Toy store - Gold toymaking badge
Nightclub/Karaoke bar - Party DJ (Level 5) in Slacker career
Gym/Fitness center - Maxed Body skill
Massage parlor - Learn Bon Voyage Deep Tissue, Accupressure and Hot Stone massages
Planetarium - Alien abduction
Tarot card reader - Tarot card reader (Level 3) in Paranormal career
Car lot - Restore a car
Pet store - 3 households with pets
Payday lender - Repo man visit
Thrift store - Disaster-jar related (see link in Mega Disaster spoiler): bankruptcy, unemployment, midlife crisis spending, take your pick

Add other businesses of your choice at 5 SM each
Various Restaurants/food stands - Sous Chef (Level 7) in Culinary career
Other homemade or crafted item stores - Related gold crafting badge

MEGA DISASTER TWIST:
Spoiler:
How a Mega Disaster hits your Burg:
1) Roll dice or use a numbers generator between 4 and 6 to determine the rotation number affected by the disaster.
2) Roll dice or use a numbers generator between 1 and 6 to determine how many households in your Burg get hit with the disaster.
3) Roll dice or use a numbers generator between 1 and 6 to determine which disaster befalls the victims in your Burg.

FROM THE MEGA DISASTER JAR CHALLENGE FOUND HERE:
(http://generations32.blogspot.com/2009/ ... nture.html)
1 - EARTHQUAKE HITS:
You lose half your house and half your stuff. Draw an imaginary line down the middle of the house. The part of the structure without the kitchen is destroyed. In three days, aftershocks hit. Pick one room to survive and everything else goes. [Extreme: you lose it all.... tear down the house and sell all belongings]

2 - WILDFIRE HITS:
You lose everything on the lot including the house and all your stuff. Insurance drags their feet. They don't address your claim for at least a week. Lucky for you, your neighbors come to your aid and give you a fridge, one of each of the lowest cost item - folding chair, bed, recliner, toilet, and sink. They give you one weird extreme item such as a harvester, board breaker, flamingo, or any item you next to NEVER put into your game. It’s an item that makes you scratch your head wondering WHY the neighbors gave you that item. [Extreme: one Sim dies from fire]

3 - HURRICANE HITS:
Everything is destroyed on your lot. Since your neighbors lost everything too, there is no local aid to help you out. You’re forced to wait for FEMA or loot the neighborhood stores. Purchase any 8 items you want from any shop or buy mode. FEMA arrives in one week and you can purchase and rebuild at free will.

4 - FLOOD HITS:
Delete everything on the first floor and outside. The floors and inside walls are messed up and may need replacing. All items outside were washed away. A few items have washed up, or were donated to you. Buy any three cheap items in this list: cheap fridge, outside cheap BBQ grill, cheap single bed, cheap recliner, cheap toilet, cheap sink, cheapest shower or tub, gnome, or lamp/light.

5 - TSUNAMI HITS:
The water level is two stories high and you lose everything you own on the first two levels of your house and outside. Floors and walls may need to be replaced. If you had a car, it was washed away. FEMA must be on vacation because NO one sees them. You’re forced to risk starvation or loot the town. You head to a community lot. You have to fight for your items. Win 2 fights = 4 cheap items. Win 6 fights = 1 any priced item. You can buy up to 8 items, but you have to win the fights. Pick carefully, what you buy is all you get for 1 week. (Alternate - buy any 8 cheap items from buy mode)

6 - TORNADO HITS:
Whether or not your house is lost, is based on a coin toss or dice roll. Get a dice or flip a coin. If you roll even number (or heads) the house is safe. If you roll odd number (or tails) the house is hit by tornado. If your lot is hit by the tornado you will lose the full structure. They are able to sift through the rubble and save any 10 items. [Extreme: 5 items]
Image Image
ISTJ
peachy123uk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: Proposed Build a Burg Challenge - with a Twist!

Post by peachy123uk »

Sounds good, I will give this try once I finished my original B.A.C.C.
UPCOMING EVENTS:

JUNE
PRIDE

JULY
SIMNANO

DECEMBER
CHRISTMAS 2024

katrisims
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Finland

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by katrisims »

Ooh, this looks intriguing. :hmm: *slaps self on wrist* No, Katri, we're not allowed a new challenge right now!
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I really don't need another long-term challenge, but this also looks super fun.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Oh yeah, it's still ridiculously long! :splat: I think of it more as an alternative scoring system for a regular BaCC.

Just counted my Build a Burg achievements in Mesa Vista, and my SM would be 170 x 105 playables for a population of 17850, vs. 60 SM from the original scoring with my official population of 6300. I also see an incentive for more Sims joining the Criminal and Slacker careers (Politics and Adventure too), instead of most working in Business.

I will have more time next week to play further and see how long it takes to build up the SM even more.

(Oops! Forgot the careers: 23 SM for those + 170 = 193 x 105 = 20265!)
Image Image
ISTJ
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

:woot: Great Job! Originally, I just wanted to swap the 'Millions for unis' and 'tycoons for districs' grinding in the original challenge for a more diverse 'Mini Challenges for Lot Mltiplicators - plus some disaster ja challenge in it - you one-upped me there and created something even more interesting... hm, I still want to get to 50.000 first, but for the metropolis... why not give it a try then?

:drinks:
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

That's a great idea! :drinks: Move beyond multiplying the Uni/BD grind x 10 for a metropolis, rather create even more diverse ways to increase the multiplier to build a metropolis, after winning the original challenge. Brilliant!
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Oooh, these rules look really good! I'm a bit confused about the list of lots, though; does that mean that you can Earn those lots by completing the objectives that go with it? So no more '4 households = NPC lot'? And as for owned lots, you can still just do what you want? :)
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Yes, Anne, exactly! I would say that the "4 households earn an NPC lot" is no longer necessary here, but if anyone has an opinion about that, feel free to chime in.

Instead, you can choose to either earn many common buildings found in a town @ 5 SM points each (customize the types of buildings however you wish, our list is just for ideas on a typical town) by completing tasks related to those buildings, or run them as owned businesses. You can customize your own town's buildings to your liking or vision of what you want your Burg to be like.

It's still a huge challenge though, which is why we figured not everything has to take a long time or be difficult to earn.

For example, as long as I've played MV, as it stands now I'm not even halfway to 50000 with these rules, but now I have many different (= more fun) avenues to increase my population more quickly.

EDIT: Hmm... Perhaps we could use the "4 households earn an NPC lot" as a way to earn parks and recreation lots... :idea: I think that would be really good, and keeps the incentive to have many households as well!
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Ah, yes, that makes sense! I think your idea for the parks and recreation lots sounds really good! That would make a lot of sense, too, I think.

I'm SO tempted to start a new challenge now :lol: It might be better to just apply these rules to Blueberry Island and see where that gets me, though, haha.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I agree, thanks for the input, Anne! I am going to add that goal to the Parks/Recreation lots. One Park and/or Recreation lot earned for every 4 households, and each lot counts as 5 SM.

I really want to playtest this version from the beginning, but I can't make myself give up Mesa Vista (I love my Sims there!) and I certainly don't have the wherewithal to do both. So now what I'm considering is converting Mesa Vista into a sort of hybrid challenge: place an earned Business District and play the new Burg rules with the Sims who live there.

Then add both scores to the total population. :pacman:
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Ooh that's a good idea! I might try and do the same with Blueberry Island. It feels too confusing to convert Blueberry Island to these new rules (I'm so used to playing with the old ones), but that seems like a really great compromise!

Return to “Sims 2 Rulesets”