Instant City - a BaMC(Build-a-Metropolis)Challenge - 40599

All sims 2 stories go here.
Forum rules
When your story is completed, please send a PM to Blamsart letting her know the story has been completed. She will award the medal and move the story to the Completed section.
Please do not use the report function to report the completed stories any longer.

Stories that need to be moved to the Graveyard should still be reported as usual.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Instant City - BaMC(Build-a-Metropolis) Challenge - Spri

Post by Lorinsv »

Reserving a spot to comment because I'm totally getting creamed in the Power Reading/Writing Race... :bounce: :heavybreathing: :neener:

EDIT:
:bounce: Household F-2:
Spoiler:
I love their apartment building, it's sooo pretty! *turns green with envy*

Good job, Berry and Lorin! *hands them a :smore:* (k, technically it's a s'more, but I thought it was a meat sandwich first)

I can't believe I've never seen the Three Lakes souvenirs before! Those geodes will be perfect to sell at the mine, when I get around to placing it in MV - thanks for the link!! (and the mine!)

I'm still intimidated by the M&G roof elements, but they're so frickin' gorgeous, I'm gonna have to muster up the courage to give them a go. They really glam up the facades of the Moo's Mews lots :starry: :hearts: (weird about the shadows though :?) And your placement of the new businesses is perfect! Also happy to see such a pretty beach lot like the Promenade sur la Plage grace Numa Key (like the name too).

I lol'd so hard at "Journalism Sucks - a Servo's Perspective" - in fact, all your commentary was hilarious as usual! :hug: Still lovin' your pics too, they're always such a feast for my eyes :heart:

A splendid read as always *is happy*
EDIT 2:
:bounce: :bounce: Household G:
Spoiler:
Hmm, you aren't using the Bandatron to charge admission at your Clubs?

I knew the toddler drawing table changed to a one-tile footprint when placed on the diagonal, but wasn't aware pool tables behaved similarly until now. :plumbob2: Good to know!

The Bonfire Club looked freaking awesome inducing multiple eyegasms, the Rally Forth pic was amazing!! Fun idea, too, having a club with dance contests! The more variety the better, I say. :yes:
:plumbob2: :plumbob2: :plumbob2:

EDIT 3:
:bounce: :bounce: :celebration: Household H:
Spoiler:
Oh. Right. Him.
Three truer words have never been said :rotfl:
- Also, my logic only works in my favor...-
:party2:

I ran into the same problem with Marie Sims' berry pies as far as having to cancel the eating interaction after each one, very tedious indeed until someone pointed me to a hack that made the Make Many option for desserts available at all hours of the day.

Good job on the Numa Key Beautification Project, Serva H-3! It all looks lovely :)
:pizza:
More to come down-thread...
Last edited by Lorinsv on February 13th, 2015, 12:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image
ISTJ
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
I like the warehouse design, I should find a way to use that in something. I was always afraid that too many witches/warlocks in one hood would make the game blow up or something so I never transformed many. Something to think about doing whenever I start to post my new RKC, Prince Nemo. :P By the way, whatever happened to your simself? I don't see a link anymore.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

@Ani-Mei:
Spoiler:
I still have him, but I didn't post a new download link yet.. :duh: ... in any case, it's not a difficult Simself to make - actually I took a Sim with white skin, brown hear and blue eyes, gave him the face-1template, put on angular glasses without frames and stubbles, made him fat, with a blue sweater and grey-green trousers, and the scubahelmet - done (well except for the makeup accident, that made my founder cover his face with the helmet).

- Great RKC, already wrote something to it! :thup:
@lorin:
still too late! :rofl: (- but many thanks for the 'Shin-spiration!' :drinks: )

Household J Update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
Okay, will do. Just read your Apocalypse again not too long ago too. I find rereading my chapters can help jump start a writer's block because it's virtual proof of where I was going with it. Course back when you did it, I didn't have an Apocalypse...*cough* And you did collect simselves who had written them...anyway, I would find it hilarious that one of the neighbourhoods the Bethanys set out to conquer happened to be Professor Disc's world, that would be an interesting clash of who can be the most evil. Bethany's zombie army or Prof. Disc's Servo army...sorry.I'll be quiet about non-related things now. Love the Adventure themed club, might have to try that to unlock Slacker in Maladoreias.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@ Ani-Mei:
Spoiler:
OooOoo... don't tempt me... the subplot killed the apocalypse and now you're trying... :timebomb: ...*sigh * .. where are these purple contact lenses...?

A bit short again, but... oh well: Household K Update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
Sorry, just a spur of the moment thing. :haha: Or you could just say the Stargate tunnel collapsed while her army was in transit and died (again)... :whistle: But anyway got a question for you; most of your houses have all the business perks including the Head for Numbers perks, how do you get them to use the phone and not have the game crash? I did look into the Hood Checker you mentioned and downloaded it, I tried to use it and it didn't work. My anti-virus program freaked on it and deleted several of the files required to run it. So I disabled it and tried again, it didn't check the hood it got stuck on the Can't find neighbourhood to check please select one...I did and nothing. And since you seem to use it without issue and Mootilda :angel: is not around anymore to figure it out, maybe you could? I don't know why my game crashes every time I try to use the Head for Numbers thing, it's bugging me.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Continued from up-thread...
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Household I - a Bewitching update!:
Spoiler:
The Manor of Permanent Twilight LOOKS. FREAKING. GREAT! Love those tall doors, which again I have never had occasion to use before. Dayum, love the Halloween store too! :starry:

Good idea selling coffins to Instant City's abundant elder population. :P The Goth Club isn't my type of scene either, but nice job decorating it, and I can totally see it having a niche following thanks to Instant City's witch population.

Oh yeah, getting to see the park up close! Can townies make their own pottery there and if so, can they keep what they make? Or will the Servos sell their pottery there? I still don't quite get the purpose of putting the restaurant podium there, but from what I gather, it's to get Sales badges? :?
LOVE seeing all your Servos running their businesses, and again, great pictures!
Until tomorrow, my friend... :applause:
:heavybreathing: :faint:
Image Image
ISTJ
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@Ani-Mei:
Spoiler:
Oh, there are some more ideas to resurrect Bethoria - Domino-Beth, the three Beth going AWOL, Bethany never being free of her own inner demons...

As for your problem - I know, that the head for numbers perk caused a problem once with BonVoyage, but that was solved with this patch.

Aside from that, have you tried to take out the download folder to see if the failure still appears? If not, than it is apparently some Hack or Mod that causes the problem. In this case, you can either try to find the culprit by adding half of the downloads, than the half of the other half etc., until you find it, or or you could use delphys Organizer to figure out the hacks and then transport them all to the same folder and try the half and half method on these only (WARNING: one problem with this method is, that, since the game loads the files in the downloads folder alphabetically by subfolder, some hacks, that worked fine together loaded in one order, now don't work anymore in the other...)
@Lorin
Spoiler:
Thank you for all the nice praise *blush* - also, townies themselves don't potter, but playable visitors can use the pottery and sell it too... the podium raises your sales badge, and if you place it and order someone to be clerk, before it gets the out of work-sign without the stove, will work there and raise its badge - but without requiring a cook and a waiter or Sims harassing the Sim to lead them to a table...
Household L Update!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Household J :fight: :
Spoiler:
The Tropica Warehouse (Club that shall not be counted) looks great! (Sorry, repeating myself a billion times but it can't be helped...) What is the tile deco thingy to the left of the DJ booth behind the potted palm tree? *Lightbulb a few minutes later* Aha, it's a fireplace, right? (Originally thought is was some sort of gong.) Anyway, everything in the "club" (I think it should count) including the Castaway stuff is super coolio.

I'm so happy the office supply store was fun for you! :D The Servos looked right at home in there. :highfive: Leave it to the Sims for a fight to break out there instead of the nightclub! :lol:

Love how you constructed the souvenir kiosk at the Tropicana Park, it looks perfect. Neat little knick-knacks for sale there. :thup:

Awesome, loved it, yadda yadda... :hearts: :starry:
:sly: Household K:
Spoiler:
I think the food stands are the easiest way to run a business.

For the Groovy Grove, would you consider it a Club if the Bubble Blowers were for entertainment rather than for sale? Anyway, I liked how it looked.

It's been ages since I've seen strays at my community lots - makes me wonder if I have a hack for that. :?

Did you decide to move Tropicana Park back to its original spot?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YEAH BABY!

:llama: YEE-HAW! Household L:
Spoiler:
OMG, can't stop laughing at the Country Club! The M&G building deco with the string lights adds perfect ambiance!! :awesome: :woot: :starry: :hearts: :applause: :#1: You seriously need to upload this shi- I mean, these community lots at MTS!! I mean ALL OF THEM!! Cotton Eye Joe 4EVAH! :party2: :rotfl: :rofl:

The Boxing Club is genious, that is all. :applause: Punch You Punch Me looks perfect in the ring!!

Nice to add a little culture at the end with the sculpture park. Numa Key's whole Park System has a neat feel of urban culture to it - very cool!
:bounce: :neener: :celebration:
(Yeah, yeah, I know I'll probably be waking up to a new one... :splat: )

:applause: :hearts: But damn, but I'm getting a kick out of this! :hug:
Image Image
ISTJ
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@lorin:
Spoiler:
Okay - if there is really an interest in it, I can upload the businesses. Just give me the time to upload the last chapters, there are still some to come... :mrgreen:

- as for the fireplace in the tropical business: I put this fireplace in every warehouse, because it has a great chimney that, while it was probably meant for stylish mansions, says 'old style factory as well to me...

- in short, the warehouses are places where you go in and should get the feeling you stepped into another world... :alien:
Household M Update!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Household M:
Spoiler:
*Goes into diabetic coma from all the community lot eye candy...*

Clover Bistro is adorable!

I'm digging the YouTube links to music that fits with the club themes.

The flutes are great - I can envision a really nice flute trio with the piano and violin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s_Fwdfa9G8 (a quite different sound with cello(?) and harpsichord, but I think fits the period theme of your Greco-Romanic club perfectly :) )

I don't recall seeing the nectar bar before - what's that from?

I am totally stealing your idea of placing shelves between the wine racks for a CC-free kitchen! :hearts: Question: what is "ortavernesque"?

Again, can't get over the number of absolutely gorgeous lots springing from your simple warehouse design. Color me dazzled.
:applause:
Image Image
ISTJ
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@ lorin:
Spoiler:
The Sweetening fruit nectar bar came with Freetime and can be found in the party category.

' or tavern - esque'... like ' looks, smells, sounds and tastes like a tavern, but is a club, a club , a CLUB!'.....yeah, I like to make up new words... :splat:

THX for the music link!
Household N Update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
Very nice three updates, I got the patch you linked and I hope it will fix my crashing once I go back in game. Do you have a bakery business yet? There is a mod to make those Culinary reward chocolate boxes sellable in store. I can't remember if you have a bakery/chocolate shop yet. What will you do when you rund out of space in Numa Key? Add on another Business District? Anyway...twelve more to go before Sping is over.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@Ani-Mei
Spoiler:
Household C has a bakery - but since they only baked maxis stuff, cake shop or confectionery might have been a better name.
Perhaps one day in the future I will make a 'real' bakery with this Mod.
One of the next households will also use a modded Candy Crafting Station from Here (under Sims2/Objects/Other Objects)

While I write down the Chapters for Numa Key, I've already gotten a few more Business Tycoons, so yes, another Business District will be added eventually... Numa Key just provided the existing Households with Business Perks if you look at it that way... if future Business Districts will be as elaborate as Numa, I can't say yet.

A word about the patch: I'm not completely sure if Sims 2 included the patch already into any future Add-on like Mansions & Gardens, but it was the only thing about the head for numbers perk, I found googling...good luck fixing your problem though :hug:
Household O Update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
Ever have one of those nights where you sleep for a bit and then you have to get up to go to the bathroom and can't get back to sleep afterwards? Well since that happened to me, I randomly thought about your challenge here and a few buisness ideas came to mind for it. Now I don't THINK that they've been done already but:

A Vanity Affair (sells vanities)
Mirror Into Your Soul (sells mirrors obviously)
Karoke-Dokey (sells kareoke machines)
Talk You Down (sells phones and microphones)
Sheep Counters (sells beds)

Weird late night thoughts are weird...
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

@Ani-Mei:
Spoiler:
Heh - that's how I got some of my ideas too... :mrgreen:

- the vanities shop... to be honest, I actually had a bit of trouble to understand, what 'vanities' are... even my English dictionary told me just, that vanieties could be anything from cosmetic over styling accessoires,mirrors, washdishes or simply toilets... we had a plumbing business in Household F-1 if it's that what you mean.
- phones and microphones are a good idea, however, I tried setting the normal telephones for sale and it didn't work, even at the office supplies shop by household J they are just there for deco.
- The 'Muscles and Music' in Household N was actually supposed to be a mirror business, but again, the plumbing business had the mirrors earlier, so I changed it...also, it already sells a karaoke machine as part of its modern music section.
- the beds are also a good idea - and in fact, I have another Business already built that sells beds, wardrobes, and a lot of other stuff... I call it 'Simkea'.

- if you don't mind, then I'm marking your ideas for later business districts as 'has to be build'- businesses :idea:
Household P Update!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Spoiler:
The vanities can be found in the furniture category under Misc. They usually have a stool, some drawers and a mirror attached to it. Now to read chapter.

This is a vanity, the thing behind the girl.

Anyway, gardening businesses are fun, that's the one I set up for my WYD founder. Though she will need new stock soon enough, easy to do just gotta watch the Plantsimming. Anywho, short and sweet nice chappie.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

' or tavern - esque'... like ' looks, smells, sounds and tastes like a tavern, but is a club, a club , a CLUB!'.....yeah, I like to make up new words... :splat:
You're fine! For some reason I couldn't see anything but "orta vernesqe" :duh:

Household N:
Don't know how you come up with so many funny observations, but I sure appreciate your talent for it! :heart:

Household O:
Spoiler:
Candle store! (Buy Mode for lazy me, of course :P) *swipes idea*
Alanis Morisette's "Ironic" immediately popped in my head when I saw it raining at the candle business. And the playground next to the cemetery. :upsidedown: Must be coming down with a case of Numa Key-itis... :bounce:

(You probably won't be able to see it, but just in case...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc
Household P:
Spoiler:
I love gardening in the Sims! And again, all the Servo households really make the businesses shine. :drinks:

I love Numa Key Bank! And major kudos for coming up with a scheme for running an owned bank as a successful business! A money tree vault is brilliant! EDIT: And the ATM machines! :awesome: Great job decorating it too.

Did you replace the harvested fruit with the drinks on the same display shelves? I've always had a heck of a time if I want to change my mind on what to sell, so much so that I haven't tried it in ages and I'm rusty on what the problem was except it seemed the game insisted that the same product be placed in the exact same slot on the display. And I found it impossible to delete something like the Decra-Chill case that was originally set for sale. I dunno, can't really remember specifics now... :sorry:

I seriously don't know how you're able to pump out so many updates at once - it hurts my head just thinking about it.
Last edited by Lorinsv on February 16th, 2015, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ISTJ

Return to “Sims 2 Stories”