Clitheroe: A BaRKC - R5/Renaisse - 6/20/2016

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Clitheroe: A BaRKC - R5/Rheingold - 2/13/2016

Post by Anne »

Cool update(s)!
Spoiler:
I haven't commented on the last two updates, but I did read them and really enjoyed them! And this new update is awesome! I really love how you're working in the whole kingdom thing and all the different ranks. Those flags are so cool as well! And Andi will make a fantastic queen some day - she's so sweet. I loved the view from the balcony, by the way. <3 Can't wait to read more!
cowplant

Post Counts

Post by cowplant »

:spin:
Spoiler:
I love it! I can totally understand Andi's decission, Galain IS a cutie. Even though he has black hair, but that is only "pesky" because it's so hard to breed out. They will have the cutest children! *ships*
I really like the idea of emblems :)
~ Winner of the Golden Plumbbobs in the categories of ~
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Find me on:
[Tumblr] ~ [Twitch] ~ [Wordpress] ~ [Youtube]
[The Viridi (Video) Chronicles]
My little lazy legacy
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Lorin (can I call you Lorin?):

Yeah, it's about time we finally get to start in on class distribution! :spin:
Spoiler:
Thanks! That was a fun scene to write and take pictures for. ^^ I actually really like Imelda--she's so much fun to write--and trust me, the promotion will definitely not go to her head. ;)

Thanks! And may I say, I've been working through your Mesa Vista chapters, and I'm really enjoying them! :D
Ani-Mei:
Spoiler:
Haha, yeah, finding a queen is kind of important. ;) Right now she's a little too much on cloud nine to plan what her next step is, but once she calms down, I'm sure she'll have some very ambitious ideas on where to go next. ^^

Thanks! :D
Anne:
Spoiler:
Awesome, thank you! :) I felt like it didn't make sense to automagically give myself a full compliment of pre-selected nobles and merchants and peeps, especially with the backstory of this challenge's world being newly created and all, and so it's super exciting to me to finally be introducing a wider range of classes.

Thank you! I worked hard in MS Paint on them! :rotfl: I'm really looking forward to the day Andi does take over as queen; it'll mean some veeery interesting things for the plot. ;) Thank you much!
cowplant:

:spin:
Spoiler:
Yep, he sure is! I really could've seen that decision going either way, but she ended up two bolts with Galain and negative chemistry with Darion. :haha: Galain does have a red hair recessive so it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm not too bothered with dominants and recessives anyway. I like black and brown hair, too. Not that you'd know it by how many redheads have ended up in the gene pool! :lol: Yeah, I'm super looking forward to seeing their adorable little children! They'll be my simgrandbabies, you know. :rotfl: I've never actually played my simself before, much less had her have children, so this is a totally new experience for me!

Anyway, that was a little off topic. Thank you; I had fun coming up with the designs for the royal and noble houses! Thanks for reading! :D
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Absolutely! :thup:
Spoiler:
Haha, now you have me questioning my judgment of Imelda! :splat:

Thank you, I'm happy you're enjoying Mesa Vista, I know there's a lot to slog through :)
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Spoiler:
Oh dear, "some veeery interesting things for the plot"? I'm scared already... :rotfl: :popeye:
GustDragon

Post by GustDragon »

Ack! I missed a few updates!
Spoiler:
Very, especially, very good. Nothing really more to say. :P
The banners are pretty cool though. Looking forward to more. Feel kinda sorry for the sleeping demigod.
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Gust:
Spoiler:
Good. :yes:
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Re: Clitheroe: A BaRKC - R5/Lariel - 2/20/2016

Post by Keika »

Okay, it's here! Last one to read is a rotten egg!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

What if you're first?
Spoiler:
Nice to see the princess finding time to be with her betrothed. Even if his mother need watch out for those phantom runaway carriages that she'll claim the Renaisse family had sent after her. Or maybe that's me...Paranoid much? Anyway, nice to see round five getting in the swing.
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Then you're... a fresh egg? *shrug* ;)
Spoiler:
Yep! Galain really, really wanted to go out on a date, so even though I feel like those two would be more interested in private time and easing into the more romantic stuff, here we are. ^^ Imelda's right there with you, I'm sure.

Thanks! Round five was a fun one to write. :) I'm actually starting in on round six this weekend already, so if I get very far ahead, I'll probably publish an update or two early and get things caught up a bit. ^^ Thanks for reading and commenting, Ani-Mei!

Also, I've finally gotten my ruleset into a place where I feel comfortable sharing it. So here it is, if any of you guys want to have a look. :)
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Spoiler:
Ugh, Imelda! I'm disliking her more and more, and I really feel for poor Shannath. Galain is cute though, and he and Andi are really lovely together!
Great update!
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Spoiler:
Yep, Imelda's a fun one. ^^ Thanks on all fronts! :D
mysterymusic7

Post Counts

Post by mysterymusic7 »

So nice to see the promotion didn't go to Imelda's head. :P
Spoiler:
I really feel for Shanath. Poor thing is super stressed out.
Awww I think I see another marriage in the works.
Guess she and that "enemy" are gonna end up related. Maybe? LOL!
Though I'm pretty sure she could use some fun in her life...what with Imelda being such a stick in the mud.
Oh the plus side Andi and Galain are cute together. Hopefully Andi's got what it takes to deal with the dragon mother-in-law.
I'm sure she does though with Keika as her mamma. ;)
Great update.
GustDragon

Post by GustDragon »

Ah, that was great.
Spoiler:
Defiantly looking forward to the next three parts/chapters. The new family seems pretty awesome, to say the least. I'm sure the Renissasis won't be to put down, and I'm looking forward to getting to know the ne Maeves. Absolutely love your writing (in all areas, not just sims :wink:)
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Mystery:

Oh, no. Never. ;)
Spoiler:
I'll say. Shannath kind of got the short stick in all this. :P
Maybe! :lol:
Hey now, what are you insinuating about my parenting style? ;)
Thanks so much! And thanks for reading and for the comment! I appreciate it! :)
Gust:
Spoiler:
You're "defiantly" looking forward to the next ones, huh? ;) Ah, I kid, I kid. Love you, sis. The new family was pretty much a blast to play; I can't wait to share their week. ^^ Thanks so much! Thanks for dropping by! :D
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

Spoiler:
Yay for nobility! I love the new heraldry. Imelda got what she wanted after all. She looks lovely as an elder. Galain and Anduera are a cute couple. i can't wait until the royal wedding!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I'm a bit behind, and I just now read Round 5, Rheingold and Lariel.
Spoiler:
First, THANK YOU! I can't say how honored I am by your shout-out. I love what you did with your court and your flags and heraldry, and the hierarchy you're setting up. Having the peasants report to their nobles is great, and having them use the heraldry to reflect that is a wonderful idea! And I can already see the potential for more drama, based on rank and the scramble to achieve it. Also, your seal is beautiful!

Your new couple is just adorable. Yeah, they're going to be fun. All those babies!

I'm feeling really sorry for that poor God, now. Pssst. If it doesn't interfere with your plotty-plans, I'd be happy to take one or two of his people. I don't have a Garden, but I do have my full boolprop powers, so I feel safe taking one or two. Hamlet needs a dedicated merchant. Or maybe a librarian.

And - YAAAY! Andi has attraction for her future king-consort! I'm so glad. How awful it would be if she had to choose between two guys with negative chemistry, right? And although I'm glad that you told Imelda off, I'm also glad that her hard work paid off. Ambition is a good thing, as long as it doesn't warp your soul.

I liked your royal proclamation, and the boons, as well. What good is a swelling royal treasury if you can't spread it around a little? But university - is Andi not going to go, or will you set up the university at the last moment, next week? Golly, they grow up so quickly?

Lyas is super-cute, btw. Is he going to marry one of the cute upcoming peasants? I'll be there will be some cute red-headed farm-girl growing up soon enough. ;-)

As for the Lariel chapter - I laughed so hard at Imelda's "discretion." She really doesn't have a clue, does she? OMG, poor Shannath! And poor Dienda, getting blamed for that, and she's just a sweetheart who doesn't even realize that she's blamed, and getting a nemesis. Oh, brother.

And that first kiss! So sweet! I'm so happy for Andi and Galain. They are both sweet and adorable and I love them.

Imelda, on the other hand... Well, frankly, I love her, flaws and all. Sometimes I want to slap some sense into her head, but dang, she's earnest! I really have to respect her devotion to her goals. I just wish that she'd pay more attention to Shannath, while she's at it. Well, some people just weren't cut out to be motherly. Doesn't make them bad people.

Also - that trick about the single money-making object at the store is awesome! It never occurred to me to set different prices for objects within the same store. May I snag it?

And do you do your rotational playing on a daily basis, or something? I absolutely adore the way you interconnect all the stories on an on-going basis. I'm not going to change my weekly rotation, because I've tried, and I'm miserable at it, but I have to say, I'm really impressed with yours.

I thoroughly loved both chapters. This is great reading!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Pony:
Spoiler:
Thank you! It was fun putting the heraldry together. :) Yeah, I couldn't deny her. Not when her son ended up having two bolts with the princess as opposed to Darion's negative. It might've been fun to see how she reacted to the Renaisses getting nobility, though. :P
Thanks! I can't wait to get those two together, either. :) Thanks for reading and commenting!
Michelle:

Wow! Thank you so much! What a comment! :D
Spoiler:
Oh, it was nothing. I realized while reading your stuff that I simply had to adopt some of your practices. ;) I really wanted to have being noble actually MEAN something, which is why I decided to adopt a tiered system of authority. And you're seeing right through me with my potential storylines. How'd you guess? :D Thanks on the seal, too! I made the flag first, then adapted it for the seal.

Ooh, yes. I'm already having a blast playing them, although their lifestyle is sooo difficult to manage. We'll see if they all survive to the end. :shifty:

Sure, go ahead and take a few of his people! If your kingdom can host them, feel free to write some in. I'm afraid I don't have anyone premade who I can pass on without affecting my plot, but feel free to incorporate him and/or his people in. I can get you a copy of Meslar, the god in question, if you need him, too. I'm sure he'd love the support! I'm glad that he's coming off sympathetic enough that you'd make the offer, by the way. I felt like my last couple of villains were too moustache-twirly, so I wanted to go with someone with more dimensions. The fun thing is that right now, he's the villain in Keika's story... and she's the villain in his. ;)

But anyway! YES, I was so excited to see that Andi had bolts with Galain, although kind of disappointed that she and Darion had absolutely nothing. Both boys would have led to some interesting plot machinations with their families, although this did make the choice easy. And yes, that would've been so sad if she had negative voltage with both boys. Would've made for a very cold marriage. I agree with you about Imelda--she needed a talking-to, and she's not the greatest of parents ever, but her ambition is good and she's not really a bad person at heart. :) She's actually really super fun to write!

Absolutely! Plus, I've been building too big, so some of my poor peasants are having trouble. :lol: I feel like the kingdom is too small for it to make sense to establish a university yet. Starting next round, I will be buying the universities for the points (I want to finish this challenge someday, after all), but I have a plan on when and how they're going to be implemented. So no, Andi and the other teenagers of this generation will not be going to college.

Imelda is the BEST at discretion! ;D

Sure, go ahead! I admit, I stole it myself from a challenge I read a few years back called Veil's Million Dollar Challenge and its sequel, Yulia's Five Top Level Businesses. They read as a great, entertaining guide to making money in TS2. Basically all of my business strategies from Clitheroe, at least the succesful ones, come from there.

One of my goals when I set up Clitheroe was to make it have an integrated storyline, with updates that reference each other as the week goes on. Except for seasons. Forget seasons and weather. Yeah, I considered doing it on a day-to-day basis, but decided that would be super annoying. Instead, what I ended up doing was making a .txt document of all the important events I intended to happen for each household that round. It functions as a basic outline, and lets me see what should be referenced when by the other households. Once in a while spontaneous things still slip by that document, though, so if I haven't published the chapter that should hold a reference but doesn't, I'll go back and tweak. For example, when Dienda ended up getting pregnant and the queen showed upon her doorstep, I had to go back and stage a photograph of the queen talking to the paper girl and finding out about it. That wasn't in the original draft. And if I already have published the chapter and therefore can't tweak it? Well... that's the way the cookie crumbles. :lol: That's part of the reason why I try to stay a few chapters ahead of what I've published: so I can make changes!

Anyway, monologuing aside, thanks so much for the comment. I really appreciate how nice and thoughtful it was. :) As always, thanks for reading and commenting!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Spoiler:
Great! Thanks! I'll take the Meslar sim, please. And I guess I can just make up some of my own sims to use as "his people"? Is there a link to his story? I'd LOVE to see you as a villain! LOL! Plus, it helps to get the details for the characters.

I loved Yulia's story (I remember you linked it a while back, and I read the whole thing. Until it stopped. Just stopped. I worry about what happened to the writer. Did her computer explode? Did SHE? Either way, it was a great story, as well as a great "tutorial" on how to make businesses. The Russian Baths were great. I loved how she used the snapdragons to keep the customers happy, and then used Rally Forth, to keep their energy up, so they'd stay longer. I never really bothered, much, with Rally Forth, but now I do. And Yulia was so cool. Another woman who appreciates ambition. Like I said, as long as ambition doesn't warp your soul, it's a good thing. And as for story-telling - my word, but she could really set a scene, couldn't she? And all the characters were so well-fleshed-out and recognizable. And who would have thought of a business actually selling other businesses? That's awesome. Especially if they are set up to level up quickly to five, or so, and then you work them for a short burst, and then sell them for the increased value, and then buy them back from the community, and round and round. I'm not ready to do that, yet, in Youngdale, but don't be surprised if someone down the line starts recycling small businesses to NPCs.

I tried writing in advance, and it worked for a bit, but mostly I prefer to just write and post as I go. Since my stories are more observational than plotty (although I do set up a few plots here and there), it works pretty well, and it keeps me from being bogged down by a lot of updates at once. Plus, I get the kick and motivation from posting right away. If I ever get super-plotty, I may have to do a whole rotation at once. Plus, there's the super-secret (SHHHHH!) project that I won't post until it's finished. That will get more involved. I has planz. For Youngdale, I do the occasional thing where I load up someone's lot just long enough to stage a scene, and then exit right away, as well. I think the Queen's household is advanced all the way to 2am on Monday morning - since I had to send them to the Royal Court, to update it. But yeah, I've seen some people who play their rotations on a daily basis, and although it makes for good inter-connected stories, I just can't do it. Sometimes, you just have to let that cookie crumble.

One good thing about having the community lots built up, and having the community lot time-warp thing (and a well-placed teleporter) is that I can set up some scenes involving other characters, without loading and playing them directly, if the scene is at a community lot. That was, in fact, one of the major reasons I decided on a separate royal court, rather than having court in the royal residence. Another reason was that when I lived in Germany, I visited The Residence (they have tours), and thought how cool it was. A reigning monarch, who actually rules, and isn't just symbolic, is always on call, but if they have a separate residence, they get to actually go home, and have a bit of distance, at least. They have a place where they can relax in private, and not have to always be prim and proper.

I like exchanging writing tips! It helps me improve and try new things. Thanks, Keika!
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

This is so much fun!
Spoiler:
I like how Imelda's mouth always looks like she's pursing her lips - it's so perfect! The imaginary feud with the Renaisses is so funny!

Jacking up the price of the little dragon to make the clothing more appealing is a great idea. I was kinda glad Imelda had to work the Bobbin the hard way without snapdragons. Still, congrats to her for making it a top-level business! I'm gaga over both the shop and manor now, they look beautiful!

I think I'm wondering most if something is coming down the pike with Shannath to burst Imelda's bubble.
Image Image
ISTJ

Return to “Sims 2 Story Graveyard”