Custom Blog Website: http://www.simapopulas.co.uk
Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by Bouncer »

In the original rules no, in your own rules you can decide what you think as mayor... Mainly not allowed because of frequency, but electrocution by lightening counts since it damaged a sim severely.
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

Avenie wrote:
simsterlyrock wrote:I've had so many challenges fail because I accidentally deleted the neighborhood folder or I deleted a ton of CC and decided to just scrap my 'hoods and start fresh. I'm hoping to actually finish my BACC this time. I'm the farthest I've ever gotten, which is really exciting.
I love your BACC. I'm waiting to catch up before posting in your dedicated thread, but I'm really enjoying it at the moment!
I'm glad you're liking it! I'm loving playing it. :)
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Week 2 of GageNation begins with Gage Uglacy's update here.
Sandy Bruty's second week is posted here.
Thread link in my signature.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

So! After a long break from playing, I'm slowly getting back into Simming. I've played two more households with one more halfway played, which will wrap up Week 5.

The obstacle for a long time has been how to actually finish the challenge, which I've talked about before. No matter what I dream up for building the population faster (short of a crap-ton of private universities to just be done with it) I realized the goal is just too massive to continue at my current pace, even if I were on a roll, which I definitely am not.

The truth is, I don't have the time or will to play and document the number of families it would take, but I don't want to give up either. I also don't want to sacrifice time with the families I've bonded with, plus I have some new households in mind that I want to add to the main core of characters.

As a compromise, beginning in Week 6, I will be using the goldmine venue strategy to *greatly* accelerate the number of owned businesses as they don't have to be played, only purchased, and is more satisfying to me from a realism standpoint than a city with 30 universities. In addition, I will add households that are solely for the purpose of boosting the population (primarily business tycoons) that I will document only briefly as proof.

Twilightoutside even came up with a story line that makes the accelerated increase plausible :hug:, so I'm excited I might actually be able to get this thing done in my lifetime! :P

Happy BaCCing, everyone! :hugs:
Image Image
ISTJ
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Scribal_Goddess wrote:
MichelleCYoung wrote:I wonder if we were to take a count on how many challenges fail because of computer issues, would it be 75% or more? I'm pretty sure it would not be less.
That or being forced to move to a new computer.

I'm troubleshooting New Edenia, which has been crashing for some reason. Hood Checker hasn't given me anything too specific. I do know it's just that neighborhood though.
I discovered that it's Windows being a butt.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Would you consider it valid to buy community lots in the same manner as the "Earning Universities Without Requiring Placement" strategy accepted by the BaCC community at large, ie count them for the score, but don't place or play them? This would primarily be for preserving a BaCC hood rather than avoiding the time/hassle it would take to place those lots. To keep it on the same level as the private University strategy, each lot would need to "cost" §40,000 (x 125 = §5M for a SM of 25. §5M buys 5 Unis, also for a SM of 25).

I'm not sure §40K for each lot is really necessary though, since even if you buy 500 @ §10,000 for the same §5M, you would only add 100 to the SM instead of 25, which granted is a lot, but that still only advances you 20% to the goal for each 100 playables you have in your hood. This would be accelerated further with each Business Tycoon, but you would still have to get them, which isn't an instant thing.

So yes, this is a relatively easy way to greatly accelerate the SM if you're good at running a goldmine venue business, but how many of us have been playing this thing literally for years (7 for me and counting) and are not even 10% to the goal?

Buuuut... given that are no real restrictions on strategy... what do y'all think? :spin:
Image Image
ISTJ
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Lorinsv wrote:Would you consider it valid to buy community lots in the same manner as the "Earning Universities Without Requiring Placement" strategy accepted by the BaCC community at large, ie count them for the score, but don't place or play them? This would primarily be for preserving a BaCC hood rather than avoiding the time/hassle it would take to place those lots. To keep it on the same level as the private University strategy, each lot would need to "cost" §40,000 (x 125 = §5M for a SM of 25. §5M buys 5 Unis, also for a SM of 25).

I'm not sure §40K for each lot is really necessary though, since even if you buy 500 @ §10,000 for the same §5M, you would only add 100 to the SM instead of 25, which granted is a lot, but that still only advances you 20% to the goal for each 100 playables you have in your hood. This would be accelerated further with each Business Tycoon, but you would still have to get them, which isn't an instant thing.

So yes, this is a relatively easy way to greatly accelerate the SM if you're good at running a goldmine venue business, but how many of us have been playing this thing literally for years (7 for me and counting) and are not even 10% to the goal?

Buuuut... given that are no real restrictions on strategy... what do y'all think? :spin:
Well since nothing in the rules stipulates that the community lot has to have anything on it, it just counts community lots, I don't think that it's a problem at all. Just as long as Sims give up the $40K if it's not one of the free community lots.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

Spoiler:
Lorinsv wrote:Would you consider it valid to buy community lots in the same manner as the "Earning Universities Without Requiring Placement" strategy accepted by the BaCC community at large, ie count them for the score, but don't place or play them? This would primarily be for preserving a BaCC hood rather than avoiding the time/hassle it would take to place those lots. To keep it on the same level as the private University strategy, each lot would need to "cost" §40,000 (x 125 = §5M for a SM of 25. §5M buys 5 Unis, also for a SM of 25).

Whether you earn a million simoleons and then deduct it and pretend that have you added an uni being worth 5 points and 5 CAS sims OR pretend that you have added 25 lots being worth 5 points and 5 Cas Sims sounds like a matter of your own taste and storytelling... also see no harm, if you earn 800000, deduct them and pretend to have placed 20 lots, 4 points and 4 Cas Sims, since 40000 per lot is a lot of moola...

Of course, an unowned empty Community lot costs much less then 40.000, a 3x1 lot would be about.... 1000-2000 Simoleons I think - and it would already count as a business, so 5000-10000 = 5 lots and therefore 1 point, so 25.000-50.000 would already be enough money for 5 points, much less than an Uni, and the only think you need to do is place those lots for real, and it would be okay....

So yeah, not really easy to answer... i'd say you can earn all the money you'd need for the first solution from a gold venue in a reasonable amount of time, it took me one day with a few hours of gameplay to get the money together.... and the other method of course risks bloating up your hood... combining them sounds nice, of course, but it doesn't feel really necessary... again, its not that difficult to get the needed amount of money....

In the end, it's your game, your Bacc, you don't get any money for realsies playing it harder or easier, just have fun - a BaCC is a journey, not a destination :angel1:
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Thanks for the feedback, guys, I feel so much better about it now. It's a relief to have found a balance between the scoring and still be able to tell a satisfying story of my little city.

In other news, I just finished playing my last household in Week 5, and the last two were very productive, with Marie Sims becoming Mesa Vista's fourth Business Tycoon, raising the SM to 40 and my population to 4040! 8%, oh yeah! :bounce:

I have 3 updates to write before the urban creep begins in Week 6...
Image Image
ISTJ
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

I finally fixed my game: it was a graphics card update after all. :)

(The cleaning wasn't in vain, as I now know how to make objects collection file only...)
simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

I woke up this morning (an hour and a half before my alarm) with the urge to either restart my BACC or try and speed finish it so I can start a different one but not be a quitter like all the other times I've attempted a BACC. :lol: I just reinstalled the aging mod I used to play with, so now the aging will be all wonky, and I'm not quite happy with how I did college stuff so I feel like a restart would be the best for my perfectionism. But I also really like the families in New Rosewick, so I don't know what to do. :lol:
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I feel the same way about Silver Bend. I love the beginning of BaCCs. I get bored as the city grows and get different ideas on how to do things differently. But I also have so many plans for my Sims, how the kids are going to marry, what businesses they're going to have. So some days I just want to walk away from them all and the other days I miss them terribly. A very difficult relationship lol.

I did open up Silver Bend today, determined to get some catch up writing done. I'm writing week 6 Guevara, but playing week 7 Sugar. So far behind lol. It's nice to be playing again. Gabie's household is an ISBI and most of the household including the torch holders is away during the day. Her husband has been home alone, he mostly putters around and plays with their dog. I keep waiting for him to do something silly. But this guy even cooks for himself without burning things down. He's waaaay too self sufficient lol
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Instead of starting over, if I want to try something different, I do it with a business district where I can implement different lifestyles or rules for my households to follow. I'm planning to add a run-down district where the families struggle to improve their lot in life (or not, if I choose to add more seedy families and elements). I already have one that's focused on farming which gives me an excuse to use some of the game content I normally wouldn't choose.

To me, it's a shame to lose families that you like along with the progress you've made when you can change things up with a business district which essentially acts like a fresh neighborhood anyway, and it gives purpose and meaning to the business districts you've earned.
Image Image
ISTJ
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

My first BaCC was a Speed BaCC, exploiting game and challenge loopholes... now I can always say 'I did it' :woot: = no more pressure to accomplish it... :mrgreen:

Right now, I try to complete my BaCC 'honestly', without using any loopholes :angel1: ...or at least any challenge loopholes :diablo: .... and I realize that I'm sometimes bored with it too, because cranking up the numbers fast leaves me with little time to develop my Sims character, its just more, more, more... of course, the opposite of giving each of them a deep character from the start would have probably resulted in me getting desperate because it would grow soooo slow....still hoping that I can still give them a character later... However, seeing my city grow to this point fills me with a sense of accomplishment again....

My advice:
a.)Speed BaCCs show, that it is possible to beat the challenge, and you can basically do it at any given point, so there is no rush to complete it!
b.) You can grow bored from playing it - one way or the other, so you actually have to find what makes you feel happy about the challenge. You can focus on family relations, you can decorate your hoods, you can spice it up by playing other challenges in your Bacc Challenge hood etc.... to sum it up: a BaCC is a journey, not a destination!
Bexx87
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Great Britain

Post Counts

Post by Bexx87 »

**Sad news:** Just as I was about to finished R17 the game corrupted itself and my graphics card threw a hiss fit so the only way I could resolve this was to save a backup, uninstall and reinstall the game and now because only half of the expanision packs wont load, my game is now refusing to load Simapopulas :-( so |I may start a new one from scratch

If I started a new one can I play BACC with just OFB and Seasons?
HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY SIMAPOPULASf
I am back from the underground of MH
Proud owner of
simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

You should be able to play with just OFB and Seasons. You'd just ignore the rules for unlocking careers that you don't have. As long as you have OFB, you can still buy community lots, which makes it a lot easier to complete the challenge. You just won't be working towards unlocking a university or downtown (unless you want to work towards it and just give yourself the SM boost and CAS sims without adding it, since you don't have the required packs).
Bexx87
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Great Britain

Post Counts

Post by Bexx87 »

Okay, I have removed the related careers I guess I will have to focus on getting community lots to level 10 more, I can unlock "ghost" universities when they get the funds just not the relating careers
HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY SIMAPOPULASf
I am back from the underground of MH
Proud owner of
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Halfway through the final round of year 1, and it's tax time!

... Why do I do things that require math? XD.

It's looking like the community will be able to repay the loan that Gibson took out to start the school, and hopefully start funding a city hall expansion and/or the business district that we are about to earn in the spring. I also desperately need to update my SM, I think we're at a population of 100+ now. Maybe. Depending on who gets born in the last three houses.
Avenie

Post Counts

Post by Avenie »

I'm trying to start up my own BaCC, but I want to do so on a clean neighbourhood, and the guides out there are pretty useless, so far. Do any of you have experience with setting up a clean neighbourhood with the ultimate collection? And if so, could anybody throw me a few tips, because I am completely at a loss here.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”