Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by Ani-Mei »

I just got my BD placed in Maladoreias, it will boost pop stats but so far it's big and empty. I just got back to playing it again now that it's cooler out and I can sit up here with my computers and still be cool enough. Also my first born-in-game Royals are teens, now the fun can really begin. Although they are all whining to go to Uni but I don't have one...
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

So I have a question. When you guys are starting out a new BACC, how do you prioritize? Do you prioritize businesses, or opening job slots, or building families, or something else? Just curious here. :)
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

My first order of business (ehehe) is to get my founder to make enough money to buy the first business, while in the meantime trying to find a spouse. When you get your first business to level 10, you unlock a position in Business, and my strategy is always to get to that point asap, and then have the spouse (or founder) get to the top in that career, so it is unlocked for everyone. That way, there will be at least one job your Sims can take, which makes things easier. :)
I also want to get to 4 household as soon as possible, so I can build a lot to either unlock Athletic or Military. Plus, it's fun to watch your 'hood fill up with families (and businesses!) :) So my priorities are basically a mixture of everything xD
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

My main priority is to boost the population at a pace that keeps me motivated, so a top-level business and businesses in general plus moving in/out townies to establish new households, which gives me the option of making them into traditional families or singles, roomies, whatever for variety and uniqueness, rather than just having passels of kids (not that I don't love Sim kids, I'm just not that good at large-household management!). The new households help earn free community lots, which I use for municipal buildings (libraries, schools, fire/police stations, museums, etc) and required for the military base (is defending her kingdom a priority for Keika? :wink:). Then get a Business Tycoon to unlock the Business career and afterwards, keep a steady flow of Sims without other career-related LTWs in Business to earn more business districts (IMO the easiest way to increase the Sim Multiplier).

Opening up careers is secondary for me but still important, though I don't know if I would rush to open them as quickly as I have if I started a new BaCC.

Same with opening a University: my first business was also a goldmine venue because I wanted a University ASAP. It's a good BaCC strategy, but looking back, I don't know if it would be a priority in a new one, just because playing University is not my favorite and I don't feel compelled to send all my teens to Uni, though I do enjoy it as a change of pace in the rotation now that I have a couple dozen households.

Btw, I like that you've chosen to earn your RKC households similar to a BaCC, it's a great way to keep the spirit of the original BaCC, with an added RKC twist to make things interesting :)
Image Image
ISTJ
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

Thanks. :) And why ever would you think my kingdom would need defended? What ever from what? :shifty:

I ask because there seemed so much to do in this challenge that I was curious how everyone is deciding how to run things. Boy, is that list of rules overwhelming! ^^; I got started with a goldmine venue primarily because I wanted a royal palace instead of a royal hut, but I couldn't decide where to go after that. You guys have some great input here--business tycoons, business districts, sim multiplier, great stuff. ^^
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I played an incomplete BACC once (never posted), and my founder went on vacation right away, found a spouse, got in a Bigfoot (who has all the badges and skills to unlock at least one job, and he almost always gets promoted, regardless of friend count, so money just rolls in), and then they went on another vacation and moved in a few of the locals there, who married each other, and then moved out to found their own households, and before you know it, there's a regular community lot unlocked, along with a bunch of sims who bow, chest pound, and hang loose at each other, and the hula and slapdance are ubiquitous.

What? I like the hula and slapdance!

Did you know that if you want to buy stuff, such as clothes, you can only do it at either someone else's owned lot, or an unowned lot? The ones who sell the clothes can't buy the clothes. Same for electronics, such as those darned useful cell phones... Anyway, getting a general store that EVERYONE can use is something of a priority for me, when playing a straight BACC, especially before Freetime's sewing machine. And did I mention how useful cell phones are? My sims do dates and outings a lot (because of the rewards, like skill points and presents, but mostly because of the aspiration fodder and mood-boosting) and being able to call your friends from a downtown lot is wonderful.

I guess it all boils down to what you love most in the game, and you do what it takes to make that aspect playable, and then strategize from there.

Or, like Twilight, you do what it takes to get 99 universities unlocked with your founder's venue, while creating oodles of Servos, and then start counting up the CAS points and SM, and win the whole thing in record time. Seriously, that was AMAZING to see, although methinks the playing of it was repetitive and boring.

So, my question is, are you playing to win quickly, or are you playing to enjoy the ride? The answer to that question will help you determine your priorities.

Good luck, either way, and I look forward to reading it.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Did you know that if you want to buy stuff, such as clothes, you can only do it at either someone else's owned lot, or an unowned lot?
Yes, I did know that. It was something I discovered during my brief BACC phase a few years before finding Boolprop. Kind of frustrating, actually, but what can you do? :P

P.S. Mine is an "enjoy the ride" challenge. This is probably going to take a long, long time.
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I'm pretty balanced at building businesses and raising families. I tend to let them go at their own pace. Every family works on their business like it's a regular job. So rank progress can be slow. But I like having all the different little shops and businesses for my Sims to go shopping at.
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

That's one of the great things about BACCs, I think. Watching your town grow organically over time, and having there be so many sim-run businesses floating around.
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Yep, that's exactly why I love it so much as well! :)
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I started building parks for Arbor Watch. I put a couple of garden plots in, like wild veggies in the sims 3. I'm hoping that they're eventually be harvestable for other citizens visiting the lot.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Post by Twilightoutside »

MichelleCYoung wrote:Or, like Twilight, you do what it takes to get 99 universities unlocked with your founder's venue, while creating oodles of Servos, and then start counting up the CAS points and SM, and win the whole thing in record time. Seriously, that was AMAZING to see, although methinks the playing of it was repetitive and boring.
Well - it was actually fun to play, though I guess, the novelty factor played a role. Basically, after reading comments about 'is it even possible to finish the challenge?', I looked at the challenge, did a bit of math :yuck: , and then figured , Gold Venue + Servos = piece of :pie: (~ and after that Bigfoot + Gold Venue = :tea: )... seeing this plan to work out overwrote any boredom I might have had....

(not to forget the feeling, that for the first time, I actually finished a challenge instead of giving up...)

Aside from that, total agreement with the rest, Michelle!

Considering Businesses: I like to try out new modded objects bringing you money and then center the businesses around it - under the condition, that they are 'balanced' ~ an object that creates an object worth 1000 Simoleons in a second would be out, the mining rocks that give you gold, platinum etc but are by default only worth 25 Simoleons are acceptable...

Currently, Summer 2 of Instant City has already added a Magic District, now building up a Private school district... annnd a bit bored, as it is a bit tedious, and there are no children so far able to go to school yet... :indifferent:

btw, pony: if the owner of a community business plants veggies and waits until they are harvestable before leaving the lot, every Sim visiting the lot can harvest them again and again...
katrisims
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob
Finland

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Seasonal Events

Winners Choice

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by katrisims »

Twilightoutside wrote:if the owner of a community business plants veggies and waits until they are harvestable before leaving the lot, every Sim visiting the lot can harvest them again and again...
Ohh, didn't know that! That sounds like a fun idea for a community lot, like a community garden or so. :hmm: Thanks for the tip, Twilightoutside!
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Twilightoutside wrote:if the owner of a community business plants veggies and waits until they are harvestable before leaving the lot, every Sim visiting the lot can harvest them again and again...

OOOOH! What a fantastic idea!

What if the owner sells the business back to the community at that point? Making it a truly "community garden"? I have GOT to try that!

BTW, I like to put up campgrounds with garden plots, so that my sims can stay there for a season, as a kind of mini vacation. I LOVE that sims can sleep in tents on community lots, even playing vanilla! And gardening and other talent badges can be earned at community lots, even without the "commskilling" mod. So a camping vacation with fishing, gardening, and maybe a few crafting benches is something I like to do. I'll put up easels for them to paint. If you don't have the mod to allow them to gain creativity on community lots, at least they can get a few simoleons from selling the paintings. They can't take any paintings home with them, though.

The only problem with staying at a community campground is that you risk spending all that time, and having stuff you love happen, such as meeting the love of your sim's life, and then having the game go "POOF!" when you try to go home. I learned, though, that switching community lots saves the game, so if you're going to be out for a long time, doing LittleNemo's trick of having oodles of outings, then you want to keep roaming the city, to save at intervals. But that resets the community lot, so it doesn't work for gardening, unless you just want to spend the money on seeds and get the gardening experience.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Michelle, there is such a lot with ready-to-harvest veggies and fruits available for download made by aixlachaise at mts.com: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=303911

- I used that one in my BaMC, actually taking out the harvestable plants first to not get an unfair advantage.... :angel:

Considering skilling without hacks: Going on dates/outings at community lots gives you random points while keeping your needs up - and aspiration points you might earn from it can be spent on thinking caps and SimVacs...
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

I have thought about doing an actual BaCC this time, I've lost two RKC's to computer issues so I'm starting to think it's a cursed challenge for me. 0_0 I can run Sims 2 on my desktop since it still uses Windows 7. This new laptop will not run it since the HD graphics card and the 8.1 OS DO NOT like older games like Sims 2. I have Sims 3 all the way up to Into the Future EP 11 (no SP's) on here and it works...but lags like a ten tonne truck still.
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

Ani-Mei, have you tried these tips to run Sims 2 under Windows 8?

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

http://simscompletecollection.tumblr.co ... -sims-2-on

Still looking for a way as well to make Sims 3 not to lag... :banghead:
(EDIT: gonna try this at some point: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/commen ... he_sims_3/)

Also: to prevent losing stuff, here are 3 tips: backup, backup, BACKUP! :splat:
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Well the Sims 3 lag fix is for Windows 7, my new laptop uses Windows 8.1. And I don't mind using Sims 2 on my desktop, it still works perfectly fine although it does make my back and neck hurt sitting in my computer chair in front of my desktop. But that's nothing some Advils and bed can't fix. I just extracted and packaged all my heirs and spares for my Apocalypse and SAVED them on a jump drive so I won't lose them if Eve's missing grave is a sign of impending doom. I should copy my entire hood onto it just in case...
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Oh, my gosh! I must have that lot! Thank you so much! Bouncy, bouncy!

Seriously, it's too "cheaty" to play in any of my challenge games, but in my just-for-fun games, I'm gonna use it like crazy. Heck, I might even use it during the college pre-apocalypse, almost-anything-goes time. I mean, I do love to send my college founders to an excellent community lot, or two, and make use of everything that's available. Still, I usually have them plant their own things, and stick around until it grows.

This is just gorgeous, though. I love how the creator says that if it feels too cheaty to harvest it, just go there to hang out and enjoy the nature. It is beautiful! And how in the world did they manage to time it all just right? WOW!
Twilightoutside

Post Counts

:pan: - didn't read that it wasn't for windows 8 - even the link in it only shows explanations for 7 and mac... dang it... :indifferent:

Michelle, if you use the boolprop testing cheat, you can shift+click on plants to make them harvestable immediately - joandsarah77 explains it here, together with no-CC, no-cheaty community garden: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=553801

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”