Build a City Challenge Chat

Lili

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by Lili »

Hi :drinks:

Drinking (juice of course :whistle: ) makes everything better ^^

About the athletic career track, we are actually encouraged in the rules to "use our imagination" (the rules even mention kicky bag, and no one can deny that sims are passionate about kicky bag!!). I really like the idea of competitive fishing, especially since sims react so strongly to whatever they catch, it does rather look like they are competing :lol: Not saying that I'm gonna steal the idea (it's too late for my hood anyway) but I like its originality!

Okay, I'm glad I didn't misunderstand the Club thing when I made a nightclub. But yes if I need several slacker positions, I might get creative about that. Then again it usually doesn't take long to become a professional party guest, one unlocked position can serve several sims. Case in point, my only unlocked position in that career track is currently available lol
Keika
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Keika »

I think part of the fun of this challenge is how open it is to interpretation! I love some of the ideas here, with clubs and sports lots. I might have to yoink a few of them. ^^
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Totally agree, Keika!
Lili wrote: About the athletic career track, we are actually encouraged in the rules to "use our imagination" (the rules even mention kicky bag, and no one can deny that sims are passionate about kicky bag!!).
The rules? Oh, THOSE! Guess I'd better read up on them again, it's been a while... :splat:
Image Image
ISTJ
Lili

Post by Lili »

Lorinsv wrote: The rules? Oh, THOSE!
:haha:
Some of us need to read them a lot, but you seem to be doing fine without :thup:
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :mrgreen:

I've got another question...

I've earned 3 community lots, say I place them but in a generation or less the family numbers go down (two marry, 1 might die off.. Uni Sims graduate without anyone in the house)... Do I remove a free community lot to match the number of playing families?

Thanks! :hellokitty:
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I wouldn't remove them, I think the consensus is once you've earned them, they're grandfathered in. Just like if your only Business Tycoon dies, you wouldn't have to remove your business district. (Of course, I wouldn't take advantage and move people out to raise the lot count and then move them back home as a kind of loophole...)

Plus, I count my dead in my population, so the playable count never goes down in my BaCC (others don't, so that part is up to you...)
Image Image
ISTJ
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Thanks, Lorinsv - I didn't think of it that way. :)

I am planning on marrying some families together *their kids) which would reduce my family lot count. :)
Mauricette
Steam ID: coag27
Origin ID: DiamondCoyote

Post Counts

Post by Mauricette »

Blargh! I'm being sucked into the vortex of BaRKs! Must create kindgom naaoo~
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Thaitanic »

One of us! One of us! One of us!
call me Thai!
they/them
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Does anyone have any tips for buying baked goods from an Sim-owned bakery? I sent one of my new CAS Sims (pregnant) to Marie Sims' bakery to buy some cheesecake, clicked on the cheesecake and picked the option to add to her bag and then clicked on the cash register to purchase, so everything seemed to be working fine. Only Marie the owner wouldn't go to the cash register to ring up the sale, so she threw a fit and left in a huff. Then I sent her husband to buy one, and the same thing happened.

I went to Marie's house and sent her to the bakery to make sure nothing was blocking the path to the register, and she rang up customers fine.

I'm stumped :?
Image Image
ISTJ
Lili

Post by Lili »

I've never tried a bakery, I have no idea :(
Wait, I did actually sell some cakes from the premade Jacquet bakery in Bluewater Village, but I didn't try it from the other side, that is while playing the customer-sim.
Edit.: I remembered Jo had a tutorial about bakeries, the pictures are gone but maybe you'll still find some information there?

Rflong7, about your question, my humble opinion would also be not to remove anything. I don't intend to ever do it (well yes if I realize I've added something by mistake and it actually wasn't really unlocked?). Not only would it make the neighbourhood's "bookkeeping" too complicated for my taste, but that's also not how I understand the challenge. Fair is fair and unlocked is unlocked 8-) You did reach the required number of families, no matter what happens to them later.
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Yay~ New BaRKCs! :check: :smiley:

Thanks, Lili :fluffy:

Make sure someone is assigned to the register. If no one is assigned to do the job no one will. Not just ringing up a customer but for their job. I believe. It's been awhile since I didn't hire someone to do the job. :(
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Thank you @Rflong7, that worked! I had set Marie as cashier before, but she was slow to ring up customers, so I had clicked on Ring Up These Customers to speed her up, which probably broke the Make Her Cashier. This time I made sure that making her the cashier was the last thing I did before she left the lot.

Thanks also @Lili for Jo's tutorial link :)
Image Image
ISTJ
Lili

Post by Lili »

Oh wow, good to know!
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Woot! I was able to help... *does smustle with goofy face* :highfive: :goodvibes:

*Why do I always forget how to spell 'smustle?'
Mauricette

Post Counts

Post by Mauricette »

Hey hey, so is a RKC considered a part of the BACC group? I know theres a BARKC and then a regular RKC and that BARKCs go into the BACC category, but RKCs don't really 'build' anything. On the other hand it _is_ a multi household challenge, so that might make it qualify- i'm blathering -_-
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Thaitanic »

I'd include it, the RKC and BaCC challenges are pretty closely interlinked. :yes: Otherwise a thread can always be made or there's the What's Happening in your Sims 2 Challenge? thread :celebration:

I also just finished my first merchant house and it certainly didn't pan out the way I was expecting it to q: Four more houses to go and I've finished my first rotation (with only one household published, lol). Next round I'm really planning on going whole hog and starting a bunch of businesses and funding a tonne of community lots to really get the disco ball of progress rolling. :disco: Did anyone prioritise any community lots/businesses they should get set up first, btw?
call me Thai!
they/them
Mauricette

Post Counts

Post by Mauricette »

Thanks, Thai, I'm about the same place as you, just needed a place to throw up the forum post. Usually my first community lot is a clothing store i.e. Daisy Couture and the Seamstresses. I also have a bath house and a tea house, but they're venues, not businesses. o3o
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I think it depends on if you're aiming for realism (probably a grocery store), convenience (one store that sells everything or an RKC equivalent of a town square like Keika's), opening careers (military base, sports lot, museum, music venue, club, etc), a money maker to open a university (gold mine venue), and of course, most Simmers' absolute necessity (CLOTHIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNG).
Image Image
ISTJ
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

I like to start with a Venue/Club because it's easy... and I always think of places starting up around one. It's a place to eat and drink like the old west. XD

The Military Base I added a store and place to eat... because that's what they did when I was going up. Then the free lots for something for everyone - I made a Mini Wal-Market because of a TPC family. :)

I was working on a list of business to open. Is there a topic made of business ideas? One I want to get running but don't know how, is my mercenary business and the Voodoo Doctors place. I have ideas but not sure how to do it.
Killers for hire and Voodoo doctor for hire- kill 'em and raise 'em up. Maybe not? O.O

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”