The Carpenters

Forum rules
If you wish to have your legacy moved back to the active forums, please report the thread and specify which forum it should be returned.
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
Origin ID: Rawla
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

The Carpenters

Post by Rawla »

I just found a new challenge I want to try. A rebooted version of The Decade's Challenge. It feels similar to Apocalypse but not as difficult.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=580290

Spoiler:
David & Calico Carpenter
Newcrest World
Carpenter Homestead 30x40
I have their home (1 room cabin really, outhouse and garden) finished.
Spoiler:
Introduction:
This will be a journal-style sharing of this story. It begins in the year 1890. I'm playing 2 sim days = 1 year. For each ten years, the challenge has events/abilities/etc. typical of that time period. Including wars where some of the male Sims that 'go to war' might not make it home again. (dies) So, hang on tight! I'll try not to make it too boring. Not sure if anyone, other than me will read this really. But it'll be fun for me to see it written down as I go.
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: The Carpenters

Post by Rawla »

Carpenter Family Journals
  • 1890s
    RULES FOR DECADE:
    Spoiler:
    1890s - The Turn of the 19th Century
    1. Only male heirs are allowed. If there are no boys, then a woman's husband may inherit.
    2. Sims may only have a relationship and marry with the opposite gender.
    3. Sims may only marry within their own ethnicity/race.
    4. Sims must only "Try for Baby" and never "Woohoo."
    5. Teenage sims cannot "Mess Around"
    6. No electricity. Use candles or lanterns to light up the house.
    7. Women take care of the children, tidy the house, and cook. They can help tidy the garden, and go jogging for fun.
    8. Men can only have the Entertainer, Doctor or Criminal career. If otherwise, men can choose to stay home and make money through woodworking, painting, and gardening. You can open a retail store or a restaurant, only if you have enough money.
    9. Sims cannot get a divorce unless one of them commits adultery (in this case, flirting with another sim in front of the spouse).
    10. If a woman becomes widowed, then she may earn money through painting, gardening, or woodworking. If she becomes divorced, then she can earn money through the Entertainer career.
    11. Elementary is mandatory, but high school is optional.
    12. High School has a fee. It costs §1000 for every teenager going to school.
    13. Female children move out once they are married.
    14. OPTIONAL: I'd recommend downloading a teenage pregnancy/marriage mod (or some other mod that just has teenage pregnancy/marriage embanked in it) since women generally married and had children before the age of 20.
    15. Your sims cannot go to festivals or events (City Living).
    16. Cell Phones are only allowed to invite people over to your house or to travel.
    17. Only bathtubs. No showers.
    18. Outside toilets only.
    19. Only wooden furniture is allowed in the house
    20. Wooden floors and walls. No drywall or wallpaper.
    21. Buy the cheapest/oldest stoves, fridges, counters, etc. No other kitchen appliances are allowed besides the stove and fridge.
    22. Only impressionist or classic paintings are allowed to be hung. Kid's drawings can only be hung in the kid's rooms.
    23. If your sims get sick, you can't give them medicine. You have to cure them through natural remedies.
    24. Your sims may not throw any events besides weddings.
    25. Every child born during this decade must be born at home. They can only be fed through breastfeeding and not by bottle.
    26. If your family can afford it, then you may hire a butler or maid. However, you cannot hire a Nanny.
    27. Also, you probably want to start working on a cowplant in this decade. I'll be using MCCC to kill off Sims when required, not the cowplant.
    JOURNAL: 1890s complete
    Spoiler:

(Sunday) David & Calico move into the homestead and build a one-room cabin with outhouse and garden area. As Calico starts on the laundry and David begins to plant the garden a thunderstorm surprises them both. Tucking their chins they keep with their tasks and then hurry instead dripping wet. A little 'fun' to warm themselves up and Calico reveals later she is 'with child'.
    (Monday) It is cold & cloudy today with a chance of rain. It will be good for the garden. While David paints, Calico harvests carrots. Her belly is growing bigger (2nd trimester) David increases his painting skill to 3. As David began to research different plants in his garden, he had a desire to buy a bee box. Locating one, he placed it in the middle of the garden so all of his plants could benefit.

(Tuesday) It is raining again, soaking the clothes on the line. Another crop of carrots is ready for harvest. Calico goes into labor on a cool, rainy spring morning. David and Calico welcome into their loving arms, a son, Samuel Carpenter.
    (Wednesday) So in love with Samuel were they, that both David and Calico wanted to try for another. During a thunderstorm, Samuel became a toddler. He was scared but father and mother comforted him. Since it was a custom holiday, Spring Cleaning, he got to do one of the activities of the day. Opening a present. It made him feel better. As for David and Calico's desire to have another baby, they soon got the happy news. She was 'with child' once again.

(Thursday) Calico is training her son, Samuel. He is learning well. I'm not sure how he'll react to having a new sibling. Seeing Calico exhausted, David helped her out one evening by doing the dishes. She was very grateful. David also worked very hard and build an addition onto the house. Now they have two small bedrooms. One for the children, one for the parents.
    (Friday) Calico gave birth to a baby boy, William Carpenter. Samuel was happy to meet his little brother.

(Satuday) William becomes a toddler. David takes Samuel out to the garden and begins to teach him about it. [flash cards] Life is peaceful and serene on the homestead. Calico shares her desire to have a little girl with David. She conceives that very night.
    (Sunday) Calico is feeling especially under the weather with this pregnancy and the Doc comes for a house visit to see how she's doing. Listening with his stethoscope, he is shocked and worried. He can hear more than one heartbeat inside her tummy. David immediate turns his worry into action and starts building another addition. If twins are on the way, they'll need a bigger home. [Won't they be surprised, She's carrying quadruplets.]

(Monday) Bell Pepper and Plantain harvest goes well. Calico will give birth just as the second half of this year comes to pass.
    (Tuesday) On a beautiful Summer morning, at 4:53AM, Calico gives birth. Everyone is surprised when she does not have twins but quadruplets. Its astounding that all four babies [in this time period] lived. David and Calico name them, Laura, Mary, Albert and Charles Carpenter. They are now the proud parents of four boys and two girls.

(Wednesday) So many things have happened this half of the year. During family day, a thunderstorm was due to hit, but so far only rain. Thankfully. All four infants became toddlers. Samuel (Sam) the oldest child became a child. He'll go to school in the morning. David helped with presents while Calico took a very much needed nap. Laura - Fussy, Mary - Independent, Albert - Wild, Charles - Angelic. Samuel was dealt the loner trait when he became a child (random trait mod). Poor kid. I don't think he'll be getting much alone time with five younger siblings.
    (Thursday) Thunderstorms and outhouses do NOT mix well! They keep running back inside before they can pee/take a bath. Calico was so tired after running back and forth with a full bladder she passed out, just outside the outhouse. When she woke up, she got struck by lightning! o.O She tried to do house work in between naps but she kept passing out, so I gave her the afternoon off. She's sleeping now. Doctor's orders. Not every day, someone gets struck by lightning and survives. ...This was also Samuel's first day of elementary school. He tried to make friends but didn't really meet anyone yet. When he came home, David (dad) helped him with homework.

(Friday) The toddlers know how to potty (level 2) and that saves Mother a lot of time. They still have their moments when accidents happen but for the most part they do really well. Samuel has a C average in school. He'll try harder to do better next year.
    (Satuday) William is old enough to be called a child now. He will join his older brother, Sam, in school next year. Too bad he acquired the kleptomaniac trait. Its the criminal career for Will, when he grows up. Poor kid.

(Sunday) Laura meets a betrothal candidate, David oversees their first hello. It seems to go well but Laura is very sleepy so does not want to stay and talk long. David learns that the boy is Active. Perhaps that translates into having a good work ethic when he grows up. That would be good. David will keep track of this one. He also asks another boy, Ezra, a million questions before he is allowed to meet his other daughter Mary.
    (Monday) William joins his older brother, Sam, at school. He's excitedly nervous. Maybe he's wondering what all that he can steal. He better behave! David (father) harvests the carrots, apples and grapes. It is an average harvest overall. He'll work on selling some more paintings. With the four toddlers growing up soon, he'll need to purchase beds for them. That takes money. Bills are piling up too. He's making ends meet but he doubts they'll ever be 'well off' like some in the nearby towns. ...Red-haired boy was dismissed. He was not found worthy to be a betrothed to his daughter, Laura, when he spend the afternoon ignoring her and then rudely denying her friendly hug. David will try again to find her a worthy match. Maybe next year.

(Tuesday) David found another betrothal prospect for Laura. He seems to treat her well.
    (Wednesday) The troublesome quadruplets have become children. (finally!) Laura is a goofball. Mary is lazy. Albert is creative. Charles is squeamish.

(Thursday) The beginning of this year was a great time for 'firsts'. It was the first time ALL of the children went to school at the same time. The home felt so empty without them but it was nice while it lasted. David and Calico snuck a little time for themselves and enjoyed cloud gazing for a bit. It was also a first because it was the first time the Carpenter patriarch, David, made the betrothed choices for his two daughters official. Jeremiah (blond) will be Laura's (blue dress) future husband. Ezra will love and cherish Mary. Another first... this is the first time the family get to enjoy having more than one outhouse/bathroom.
    (Friday) All together, the family moves from one decade into the next...

• 1900s
    RULES FOR DECADE:
    Spoiler:
    1900s - "The Greatest" Generation
    1. Sims may now have the following careers, as well as the ones listed above: Business (Management), Culinary (Chef), and Musician Career.
    2. Women who are widowed or divorced may not work in the Business, Culinary, or Musician Career. They can only work as what is listed in the 1890's decades.
    3. You can now have electricity, but only in the form of lamps. Indoor plumbing is now allowed. No showers, only bath tubs.
    4. OPTIONAL: Cheapest computer may be bought, but your sims can only use it for writing. No thanks. Too soon.
    5. Playing games/browsing web/etc. is NOT allowed.
    6. Your house can now have wallpaper.
    7. The phonograph is now available for music.
    8. Your sims can now go on vacation.
    9. By the end of this decade, you will need a cowplant. I'll be using MCCC to do the life-ending that may be needed.
    JOURNAL: 1900s
    Spoiler:
    (Saturday) After a decade of youngsters crying over monsters under their beds, behold! A fabulous little wall lamp to keep all the night terrors away. Yay for electric lamps!
    Indoor plumbing is the future. Are they ready? You better believe it! Extending the walls of the outhouses and moving the doors, plus adding a 3rd on the other side of the home, and they're ready for anything. No more midnight lightning storm dodging to do one's business. What a great decade this will be!
    (Sunday) Major house renovation takes place. [major for this time period/decade] They now have a kitchen/dining room also a livingroom area. Another addition was made to the back of the home for the boy's room. There is wallpaper in the bedrooms now!
    (Monday) David ages to adult. Two wash tubs are added to the laundry area for when Laura and Mary become teens. They can then help with all those dirty clothes.
    (Tuesday) Samuel becomes a teenager. His trait is Perfectionist. Samuel, being the oldest male, is the heir.
    (Wednesday) Calico ages to adult. [Snow Day holiday] They volunteered as a family for the first time. David stayed at home to paint and keep the fires burning for warmth when his family returned home.
    (Thursday) David and Calico became best friends officially, and while the kids were at school they enjoyed a day of relaxation talking and warming themselves by the fire. Calico even tried her hand at the violin for a little while.
    (Friday) William becomes a teenager. He adds Cat-lover to his kleptomaniac trait. He aged up in the morning so he gets the day off from school. Will the family spend $1000 to send him to high school? They are still deciding. Samuel, the heir and firstborn is going to high school and seems to be doing well so far.
    (Saturday) Payment was made for William to also attend high school. David's paintings have been selling for a lot lately. Its helped. He wants to send all of his kids to highschool. But with his daughters, they will be married before they'll be able to finish. It'll be up to their husbands whether their schooling will continue. David held high hopes that they would.
    (Sunday)
    (Monday)

(Tuesday) Laura, Mary, Albert and Charles become teenagers.
    (Wednesday) [Spring Cleaning Holiday]

(Thursday)
    (Friday)

(Saturday)
    (Sunday)

(Monday)
    (Tuesday)

(Wednesday)
    (Thursday)
Last edited by Rawla on April 12th, 2019, 10:05 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Im interested in seeing your take on this. Also can't wait for kiddos because you have some super cute kids!
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

Thanks! Keep checking the journal above. I've been updating that decade journal as I play.
Spoiler:
They've had one son, now she is pregnant again.
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Spoiler:
Awe he looks so sad lol!
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

This looks like a fun challenge.
Spoiler:
Poor little Samuel, I'm scared of thunderstorms too little buddy.
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

All is well now. He's happy again. :heart:
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I hope he's ready to be a big brother four times over :lol:
somebodysangel
Steam ID: somebodysangel
Origin ID: somebodysangel
Australia

Post Counts

Post by somebodysangel »

This is such a great challenge, looks like fun!
ImageImageImageImage Image Image Image
ABCs of Genetics ~ Minos Apocalypse ~ Young BISBI
COMPLETED: Maloney WYDC, Nav-igating the Hive, Winchester Baby Boom, Nikki Immortal Teen, Last Man Standing, Rourke EPIC, Jasper Sweet Lips[/color]
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

Lol your game loves throwing you quads

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

Yes. Yes it does. lol And in the time period of the 1890s, only the women can tend the children. There is also now bottle feeding allowed. Things are going to be crazy for a bit. I've just made the journal entry for the year 1894. Hope you like!
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

somebodysangel wrote:This is such a great challenge, looks like fun!
Its great fun so far!
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

I've been updating the journal for the 1890s a lot lately. The decade is almost finished. The next decade will have its own journal. Or maybe I'll post years in separate posts. What do y'all think? Journals or posts?
Hollywood3015
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Hollywood3015 »

I like the journal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

I will keep with the journal style. Speaking of journals, 1890s is complete! 1900s is up here...stay tuned!
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

This is a little detail not in the journal...

It is the year 1900! The home is given a major (for the time period) renovation. It now has a proper living room area. The kitchen and dining was moved to the boy's room. The boy's room was (copied and pasted) moved behind that at the back of the home. The home was given a new roof-line. More clothes lines were added out front in the laundry area and the garden area to the side of the home was rearranged a bit to sort where the trees would go. The outhouse walls were extended into the home, a third added and now they have three 'indoor' bathrooms. Wallpaper was added to the bedrooms. A lot of David's painting money went into the renovation. But he's doing so well that they have enough left over to pay bills now and into the near future.
somebodysangel
Steam ID: somebodysangel
Origin ID: somebodysangel
Australia

Post Counts

Post by somebodysangel »

Yay for indoor plumbing!
ImageImageImageImage Image Image Image
ABCs of Genetics ~ Minos Apocalypse ~ Young BISBI
COMPLETED: Maloney WYDC, Nav-igating the Hive, Winchester Baby Boom, Nikki Immortal Teen, Last Man Standing, Rourke EPIC, Jasper Sweet Lips[/color]
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

Oh indeed! Indoor plumbing is a life-saver, probably literally. Calico was struck by lightning out by the outhouse a few 'years' back. Its good that they can stay safely inside now.

Journal entry for the year 1901 is complete. Samuel becomes a teenager (heir).
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

I love how you are doing this. And yay for more bathrooms. :)
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

1903 is finished. William the second son is also a teenager now. (Friday)
The quads become teenagers first half of 1905 (Tuesday). We're getting there.
As a reminder:
2 sim days = 1 challenge year

Teresa wrote:I love how you are doing this. And yay for more bathrooms. :)
Thanks! I'm having so much fun with this challenge.

Return to “Sims 4 Story Graveyard”