Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Genetics 101

Post by Pony »

Originally posted by Jennifer on the original Boolprop. There's also a great genetics guide by Rikku Here

I'm always being asked how genetics in The Sims 2 work... so I'm going to do my best to explain them. I read about how they work in the Prima guide and hopefully my explanation makes sense...

Hair Color: Hair colors are determined following the dominant/recessive genes that people also use. The dominant colors are black and brown and the recessive colors are blonde and red. Imagine you've just created two sims in CAS a man with red hair and a woman with black hair. The man and the woman don't have two sets of genes because they don't have parents, therefor their genes are Black/Black and red/red. If they have a child the child will inherit one of the two genes from each parent... which no matter what, in this case will be Black/red. The child will carry BOTH color genes but black will be the one to show because it's dominant. However if she has a child with a blonde CAS the child has a 50% chance of inheriting the black gene and having black hair OR the child could inherit the red gene. If that happens the childs genes are red/blond. Both are recessive so its a 50/50 chance which hair color the child has. (this is the same if the child has two dominant colors)

Eye color works exactly the same. The dominant colors are brown and dark blue and the recessive colors are light blue, green, and gray.

Skin color: The skin colors can be #'d 1-4 with 1 being the lightest and 4 being the darkest. Sims inherit one color from each parent and they can be either of those #'s OR any shade in between. However, if the parents pass on 1 and 4 and the child is 2 they can't pass on #2 skin. They'll only pass on the gene for skin #1 or #4.
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Re: Genetics 101

Post by modelmgt »

As far as who has produced some uglies, Quinten McAuley(sp?) and Loki Beaker in Strangetown are good, although Loki seems to be a bit of a chance-card. Quinten is my buddy, and hopefully we'll see him again one day. Skylar Vu is married to one of the Fugly girls, and HE definitely looks promising! :diablo:
Michael Zhang in Pleasantview is also nice for uglies.
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

The last bit of the skin genetics is interesting, I never knew that. I've expanded the possible colour range of my skins by grabbing a geneticized set with approximately 10 skins instead of the base four. Adds some nice variety, which is great for keeping sims unique in large neighbourhoods.
Olive Specter

Post by Olive Specter »

Heather wrote:The last bit of the skin genetics is interesting, I never knew that. I've expanded the possible colour range of my skins by grabbing a geneticized set with approximately 10 skins instead of the base four. Adds some nice variety, which is great for keeping sims unique in large neighbourhoods.
If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me which set you've gotten or recommend any that work well? I keep finding non-geneticized sets, and geneticized sets that I don't know if they work. I'd love to have more skin tones in my game.
:woot:
Heather
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Steam ID: spacedoggity
Origin ID: pixeldollhouse
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Heather »

Olive Specter wrote:If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me which set you've gotten or recommend any that work well? I keep finding non-geneticized sets, and geneticized sets that I don't know if they work. I'd love to have more skin tones in my game.
No problem! I'm currently using Aquilegia's "You Are What You Eat" skins for normal sims, and Leh's Supernaturals set. Aquilegia's skins are based off of Leh's, so they match quite nicely.
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

I'm sure everyone knows this, but I just found out about it, so others might not know. When I go to create a new character in CAS, I make two, one of which has recessive genes (the other having dominant or recessive depending on what I want the end result to be. (I name these two Mom and Dad). I then spin the pacifier until I get the color combination I want and build my character from that base (deleting the parents). So, for instance, Rose had brown hair and green eyes. One parent had brown hair/green eyes, the other had red hair/grey eyes. She married someone with red hair/blue eyes. If I hadn't had her made from two people, all of her kids would have been basically the same. As it is, I have three with red hair, two with brown hair. There's also 2 green eyes, 2 blue eyes and 1 grey eye, and absolutely no two are the same combination.
Chase
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: ziekenz
United States of America

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Chase »

That's really interesting Jendra! I didn't know it would work in CAS :hmm:
hello! :heartbeat:
Olive Specter

Post by Olive Specter »

Heather wrote:
Olive Specter wrote:If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me which set you've gotten or recommend any that work well? I keep finding non-geneticized sets, and geneticized sets that I don't know if they work. I'd love to have more skin tones in my game.
No problem! I'm currently using Aquilegia's "You Are What You Eat" skins for normal sims, and Leh's Supernaturals set. Aquilegia's skins are based off of Leh's, so they match quite nicely.
Thank you! I'll take a look at these now. :applause:
:woot:
Jendra

Post by Jendra »

Chase wrote:That's really interesting Jendra! I didn't know it would work in CAS :hmm:
In some story I was reading, the author was talking about making their Founder with recessives and I didn't know that was possible. So I figured out what I thought they did, tried it and it worked.
simsterlyrock
Steam ID: cclimer94
Origin ID: simsterlyrock
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by simsterlyrock »

Olive Specter wrote:
Heather wrote:The last bit of the skin genetics is interesting, I never knew that. I've expanded the possible colour range of my skins by grabbing a geneticized set with approximately 10 skins instead of the base four. Adds some nice variety, which is great for keeping sims unique in large neighbourhoods.
If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me which set you've gotten or recommend any that work well? I keep finding non-geneticized sets, and geneticized sets that I don't know if they work. I'd love to have more skin tones in my game.
vimpse at tumblr also has a geneticized set of skins, which you can get here. That's what I use in my game and I really like them. I only use the Honey skinblend, but the download has a few different skinsets, all with geneticized values.
Iya

Post Counts

Post by Iya »

I have a question, how many set of genecticized skintone could you have in a game?
ImageImage
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

As many as your game can handle? I already have a ton, and add more regularly - makes things quite interesting on the baby front lol.

For those that don't know, there are mods for equal genetics for both eyes and hair. Pretty sure that they're both on Mod The Sims by...Phenoh? I can't spell that one lol.
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
Auluna

Post by Auluna »

I've always found when looking for uglies to breed into a legacy, the Uni townies do not disappoint :D
Hi, my name is Auluna and I'm a shameless user of emoticons :P :D ;)
modelmgt
Location: Trailer Towers, or astride JoJo the Magic Circus Elephant.
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by modelmgt »

I agree- The wide range of Uni townies make it harder to pick between 'em, usually!
The Freshnfruity Uglacy II: Rebirth Chapters 1-11: Updated 9-5-2016

Freshnfruity's Livejournal
These Things Just Seem to Happen 1-9:Updated 9-1-22
Fugly Scrapbook & Polls
Auluna

Post by Auluna »

modelmgt wrote:I agree- The wide range of Uni townies make it harder to pick between 'em, usually!
I found that using the Find A Mate Crystal Ball mod helps. Just set it to only look at Young Adults (aka the Uni Townies) and you will almost always have some real winners in the results.
Hi, my name is Auluna and I'm a shameless user of emoticons :P :D ;)

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”