Fanfiction

Need help with the game or your simming computer? Here’s the spot to ask!
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Fanfiction

Post by bookloverblue »

I recently wrote a Sims fanfiction (no screenshots as of yet, so I don't consider it Sim Lit in the wider sense), and have also found a few interesting fics by others.

I would certainly like to share my piece with others here, but the Literature section only allows original works, and I don't think it would exactly fit in the Sims Stories category either.

Would it be possible to have a thread to share and discuss Sims-related fanfic from traditional fan fiction sites?
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: Fanfiction

Post by Livvielove »

Oh this is a good question, I'm very down for sharing fanfiction of works, but I have a few (probably obvious caveats)... which is mostly just ensuring the original author gets full credit for their work (and linkage as well) so others can read/follow along with the fanfiction. I'd be more than happy to set up a thread for that!

Can I just run this by you to make sure I understand: you want to have a thread for sharing the stories and discussing it? Or sharing your own stories and discussing them? That might make a difference if we need to make a whole board for it or just make a thread!

I'm also having a 1am brain fart as I write this so could you give me an example of the kind of FanFiction stuff you'd want to share? Is it like spin-offs of like EA stories? Or other Simmer's stories? I apologize if I'm totally missing the mark, just want to be sure I understand the request so I can fulfill it!
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

I am referring to works hosted on sites like Fanfiction.net and Archive of Our Own, where stories about the characters (most usually the premades) are written and published, but the absence of gameplay and screenshots means they aren't Sim Lit in the sense we use the term here.

I suggest works are shared by the use of a link to the original hosting site and story, so the author gets all due credit, and feedback can be posted directly for them to see. In the top post, we can set ettiquette rules about naming authors in the links given, and encouraging comments to be posted on the original work.

If there are any fanfic writers among us, they can mention that they wrote the piece when they share a link, but still have to post the link to the traditional fanfic site it's hosted on, as they would with any other.

I suppose my argument is that we use pre-made Sims with an established backstory in Sims challenges all the time, and use these histories as baselines to create stories of our own. This is completely great and I fully support it. Yet I feel those in the Sims fanfic community on Ao3 and FF.net, who essentially do the same thing minus the screenshots, tend to be left behind in the wider community, and that we should share and promote their works as we do with each other's, to show appreciation.
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

We will be doing something to fulfil your request .... we are just trying to work out what and where.

Can you please supply us with a few links of examples ... so we can see clearly and work out what we need to do forum or thread wise.
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

Yes precisely what Julie says! We're totally down for having it, we're just trying to figure out the best place to put it! :lol: :blush: ^^ :whome:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

This is a great idea Blue!
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

For example... and incidentally, these are genuine recommendations...

Here's two Sims 2 Strangetown fanfics I really enjoyed recently. Please leave feedback on the stories and show your support!

The Stars in His Eyes by fingalsanteater (Archive of Our Own)
Pascal Curious / Nervous Subject, Teen rating

Pollination Technician 9 Has a Very Bad Day by the-misshapen-polyp (FanFiction.Net)
Parody/humour, K+ rating (9 years and up)

I've also written one myself: a crossover fic with a Sims 4 Strangerville setting, featuring Lincoln Broadsheet and Erwin Pries:

The Mother, Son and Fighting Spirit (or, The Other Strangerville Mystery) by Little_Red_Hat (a.k.a bookloverblue) (Archive of Our Own)
Sci-Fi/Family, Teen rating
bookloverblue
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by bookloverblue »

Had a thought too... it could potentially be integrated into the Fan Sites board?
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

A new forum board has been added to the Sim Stories Forum .... Other Stories
Where you can add your sim related, non challenge, fanfiction writing and stories.

We will see how it goes and if we feel it better fits one of the other sections better, we can move it later if necessary.
So have fun :thup:
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed

Return to “Help!”