Build a City Challenge Chat

Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by Lorinsv »

My population just increased from 1449 to 1820, thanks to a new family member and a Business District (Mesa Vista's third). My goal for Week 5 is to reach 2500. Woo, 5% here I come! :rofl:
Image Image
ISTJ
Chan

Post by Chan »

Business Districts are the best! I've made like 5 BaCC's at this point, and I'm starting to work out some techniques. Business districts are like goal #3.
(Goal one is getting Christy Toyonaga married to Clarence *something or other* because they have cute babies and easy LTWs)
(Goal #2 is unlocking the Business track specifically for Clarence because he typically tops it in about 2 rounds; then they can have all their babies.)
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Agreed! I enjoy strategizing for how to increase my SM almost as much as playing my BaCC families.
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Nice, Lorin! Strategising is the best. :D

I played my BaCC for the entire day on Friday, but haven't been able to play since because of university stuff and being at my parents' place right now... Hopefully I'll play some more tonight when I get home, though! I hope to add a new BD soon as well, but I need one more business, oh, and a Business Tycoon. So "soon" might still be a while. :lol:
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Ani-Mei wrote:Only now it crashes once I have her use the phone to call with the Head for Numbers perk...wish I knew why.
I only bother with the money perk, the wholesale perk, and the very low-levels on the other perk. Rally Forth is dangerous, and your own sim needs to go mood-up, so bleh. And I hate that trying to make a phone call, when you have the entire phone book! Aaahhh! So, it doesn't matter how many perk points I have, I never spend more than 13.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Simsimity

Post Counts

Post by Simsimity »

Nothing much is going on with mine atm, since I still haven't updated from my last play session. Been busy with life stuff.

One thing I've noticed that makes businesses stall out is too many repeat customers! They'll max out their stars and not throw any more - so I often need to get some new blood in there. Might be something worth checking (it's on the business tab) to see if that's the case or not when business stalls like that.
Call me Jenn/Rai, I answer to both!

Proudmoore Sims Downloads
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Played all 16 of my green energy farm Servos (4 apartments x 4 buildings) who gifted over §900K in loot to my son's Simself, who earned the rest to reach §1 million to fund Mesa Vista's second private University. His new business, Fast Lane Bowling, was the 25th owned business, plus he moved in four townies, three of whom immediately moved out. One of them was Ringo (what I now call him after his makeover in Week 3) who moved in Brittany Wendland (broken face template) and then bought Eureka Mine (an actual mine!), and they became Mesa Vista's second 3-bolt couple and had a baby, George, right before the end of their week.

Once I had discovered I originally under-counted the number of Servo households (4 should have been 16), I was able to place three additional NPC community lots.

And after all that SM-boosting activity, my population now sits at 2508, which means I've crossed the 5% threshold! :awesome:
Image Image
ISTJ
pnkpnthr334

Post by pnkpnthr334 »

I'm about halfway through my current round and it's been quite productive! I earned 10 more private universities and a business district, bringing my SM to 81. My current population is 8,586! But if I count all of my unused CAS, it's 15,957! I'm hoping my Sims continue to be this motivated in the second half. ;)
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Way to go, pnkpnthr! It's great seeing several BaCCers now making such good progress! :D
Image Image
ISTJ
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

Simsimity wrote:One thing I've noticed that makes businesses stall out is too many repeat customers! They'll max out their stars and not throw any more - so I often need to get some new blood in there. Might be something worth checking (it's on the business tab) to see if that's the case or not when business stalls like that.
Do you mean stall as in not gaining rank or as in spinny wheel of doom game pausing? Because, I've noticed that player-owned businesses run better if the Gypsy Matchmaker and the witches are banned from them (I use the business controller) and don't stall the game as much. I always get awful lag when the head witches come flying in, largely because their first interaction on any lot is generally casting magic.

It's my understanding that sims with good relationships with the business owner / employees are more likely to come back, and that sims with more stars are also more likely to come back, so maybe you are experiencing a bit of a slowdown in leveling because of that.

If you use the business controller, you could try banning playables for a session and working on selling to townies, who might not max out the stars as quickly. :)
pnkpnthr334

Post by pnkpnthr334 »

I tend to ask customers to leave once they give 5 stars, and if the new customers who show up also have 5 stars (which is often, as Sims leave and come right back), I'll just have my owner call to invite Sims over who haven't been there. It works great, since my whole 'hood is basically one family so they're all friends and will always come when they call.
WillowDanin
United States of America

Post by WillowDanin »

I did a rudimentary search and could not find my question addressed previously, so hopefully I'm not repeating this:

In the rules I'm using (by clintcasey85), the Sports Complex (for Athletic jobs ) and the Museum (for Adventure jobs) specify that they need to be worth $250,000. However the rules do not say that they have to be purchased by a Sim in order to be placed. Can I place these lots using my earned NPC community lots, or no? I feel like I can because it doesn't say otherwise, but then again what would be the point of requiring that they be a certain value if they didn't have to be purchased?

Thanks

Note: my population is a measly 272 and I just acquired my first business district. I have yet to place a university.
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

You can.

Any career that doesn't require you to get the business to a certain Rank is free to place as a NPC community lot.
pnkpnthr334

Post by pnkpnthr334 »

They can be NPC lots. I think the value is a requirement so you don't just plop down some tiny lot with a shack on it and call it a sports venue or museum.
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

Haven't placed my Merchant families in Maladoreias yet, got distracted playing my Apocalypse. FINALLY generation five has done their lifts and now I'm all giddy about having stuff back that I missed from them. I just need to write the chapters...
WillowDanin
United States of America

Post by WillowDanin »

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies Seera and pnkpnthr334!
Bouncer
Team Moderator
Team Moderator
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Bouncer »

Been a whole year since I started playing my Sweetmeaton BACC (which is still only told through legacy, need to fix something I've found out!)
Hoped I would be farther along by now, but having 2 whole chapters published. First generation almost all being teens is a pretty good point of not quitting quite yet. Is pretty good for a whole year!
Image ImageImage
Me Garden of Gnomes
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Preacher's wife Faith Goodie just became Mesa Vista's first Criminal Mastermind, finally, finally opening the Intelligence career for my founder. Only took 'til Week 5. :rotfl:
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Congrats Lorin! :D

I finished playing Spring 3 yesterday, so now it's time to start posting those (eight) updates... First one is coming right up! :)
pnkpnthr334

Post by pnkpnthr334 »

I started playing the second half of Round 12, and already earned 11 more Universities! I haven't calculated my new population yet, since I didn't finish playing, but I'm finally making progress! I'm hoping to reach the 50,000 sometime in Year 4 (this is the end of Year 3 now). I really want to finally finish this challenge, but I also don't want to let go of this neighborhood! So I think I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing so I can finish the challenge, and then I can just play the 'hood like normal, since I'm super attached to all of these families. :D

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”