Build a City Challenge Chat

PrinceSarah

Re: Build a City Challenge Chat

Post by PrinceSarah »

I've never done one of these and I'm considering it, but I'm not sure on all the rules. Does anyone have any advice for someone who's never done one?
platformperil
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode

Post by platformperil »

So I just started up another family in my BACC and one of them has a university ltw. Because it's the artist ltw, I'm almost tempted to have her have a special slot because I just hate them not being able to fufill their ltw when the only thing holding them back is a university degree. I would fufill one of the requirements still, but I don't know if this is too much overstepping my boundaries.
PrinceSarah wrote:I've never done one of these and I'm considering it, but I'm not sure on all the rules. Does anyone have any advice for someone who's never done one?
I printed off the rules and kept them by my desk whenever I play so I know exactly what to do. It may help to keep an excel sheet of everything that goes on. Plus it autocalculates!
Uta No Prince Sama!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

PrinceSarah wrote:I've never done one of these and I'm considering it, but I'm not sure on all the rules. Does anyone have any advice for someone who's never done one?
I think the answer depends on the reasons you want to play the challenge. Do you want to play by the original rules here? Or a variation like Nepheris's rules here?

Then, are you interested in strategizing to reach the final goal or more in enjoying playing your families, playing mini challenges, experimenting with genetics, building and designing your city, making pretty pictures, etc? Because there are a lot of BaCC stories focused on a lot of those different things, so finding the ones that fit with your personal goal can give you ideas for playing your own. I would recommend taking a peek at the first chapters of the stories here to see what appeals to you.

For general advice on getting started with the regular rules, this is a good place to jump in inside this thread:
http://boolprop.net/viewtopic.php?f=47& ... 100#p34219

For keeping track/score, I recommend a spreadsheet or a notebook, and if you have any questions, a lot of people here love to help!
Last edited by Lorinsv on April 5th, 2016, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ISTJ
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Hi :)

My advice is too start small and don't add families too fast. I keep wanting to start over because it becomes overwhelming- for me. :lol:

Like they said- figure out what you want from it, choose the rules or make a few for yourself, and have fun. :)
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I earned another NPC community lot, so I built a water treatment facility:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Lorinsv on July 8th, 2017, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ISTJ
Anne
Netherlands

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Anne »

Wow, looks cool, Lorin! I've almost finished playing Summer 3 - only one household left to go. I should really start posting those chapters. :lol:
Bokavoy

Post Counts

Post by Bokavoy »

Just finished playing the 9th rotation. My blog is very behind.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I'm almost finished playing a new CAS. She wants to be a World Class Ballet Dancer, so she opened a dance studio. Every time I open a new venue and it takes forever to get it to Level 1, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but nope, it's just the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that about 95% of the Sims in Mesa Vista have an aversion to Music and Culture. :tongue:
Image Image
ISTJ
Seera
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Seera »

Lorinsv wrote:I'm almost finished playing a new CAS. She wants to be a World Class Ballet Dancer, so she opened a dance studio. Every time I open a new venue and it takes forever to get it to Level 1, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but nope, it's just the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that about 95% of the Sims in Mesa Vista have an aversion to Music and Culture. :tongue:
For my dance studio, I had my servos go off and learn the Vacation dances. Then they did those in the dance studio and gave "lessons" for $X/hour. So the Hula, Slap Dance, and Tai Chi are widely known in my neighborhood.
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Great idea! I want to eventually expand the studio to two levels with the ballet barres upstairs, but I wasn't sure what to do with the downstairs then. And my Sim just happens to have an affinity for Bon Voyage...
Image Image
ISTJ
Lili

Post by Lili »

:rofl:

Teaching hula and slap dance at the Studio is a great idea, Seera!

Lorinsv, I love the water treatment facility! It looks so realistic, and nice too. Were codes involved in that neat little slope around the basins?
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

:mrgreen:
To my surprise, no codes were needed. I did 4 clicks with the elevate terrain tool around a small area until I got a flat tile, then leveled the designated pool area, and presto, a neat little slope. I originally tried surrounding it with half walls, but after fighting with them in conjunction with the pool, I decided I liked the look of the slope better. And I was really pleased with how the catwalk railings angled down, that was a stroke of good luck :plumbob2:
Image Image
ISTJ
Rflong7
House of Plumbob
House of Plumbob

Post Counts

Post by Rflong7 »

Love the water treatment facility, Lorinsv. :mrgreen:
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I just finished my first round at Youngdale! Waahoooo!

Edited to add: During the first part of my second round (Royal family), I actually added a new playable, and I am SO STOKED, I want to play her next, instead of waiting for the end of the rotation. Would that be totally cheating, or can I slip her in, early? Just to get started.

I could maybe do her early on this round, and then move her to the end on the next round.

I just REAAALLLYYYYYYY want to play her noooooooow! I was perfectly willing to wait until the end of the round, but she kept showing up on the lot, over and over, and now, I just have to play her!

Hey! I started out playing the Queen first, but then did Peasants, then Merchants, and ended with Nobles (I have no Mystics, yet). I think I'll just stick the new Peasants at the beginning of the list, instead of the end, and whenever I get a new family of other ranks, I'll stick them at the beginning of their class slot, for all succeeding rounds. In this way, the lower classes get to do all the hard work of building up the community, and the nobles get to stand on their shoulders and enjoy the results. Of course, things get a little bit wonky, when someone is first introduced, but they get into their proper slot on the next round.

Yep. That's what I'm going to do. I am TOTALLY playing this woman next. Hehehe!

I have totally ignored my other projects because I got completely sucked into Youngdale. I wonder how long it will last before I get sucked into something else, instead? I do miss the other projects, you know. Ah, well. We'll see how it goes. That's the joy of having multiple projects. I choose whichever one strikes my fancy at the time, and can play according to mood, rather than "because I have to."

Well, I'm off to finish with the Queen! She's due to have another baby, soon, and I have my fingers crossed for a girl, this time. I'm getting all my royal girl names from RejectedPrincesses.com
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

I don't have a set order to play my households. I think BaCC rules state only that you have to play the households an equal length of time in a rotation, so unless your BaRQC says differently, I say go for it! My philosophy is do whatever keeps you engaged and having fun in long-term challenges like these! :party2:
Image Image
ISTJ
Scribal_Goddess

Post Counts

Post by Scribal_Goddess »

MichelleCYoung wrote: Well, I'm off to finish with the Queen! She's due to have another baby, soon, and I have my fingers crossed for a girl, this time. I'm getting all my royal girl names from RejectedPrincesses.com
This sounds like a bucket of fun! Last time I had a name theme it was Heroes and Heroines of 18th and 19th century novels. :)
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I just started playing Silver Bend again. I haven't really played since February. Puppies are a lot of work. Thankfully Courage was napping today after a vet visit so I got to play.

I'm torn between arranging marriages between the simselves' offspring and letting the offspring find loves of their own. Why i'm thinking is in the narrative is to give them a choice between having to complete a mini challenge and finding their own spouse or arranging a marriage and they are free from doing a challenge. I think would spice up the story a bit.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I like the idea to give them a choice, like that. Good idea, Pony!

If they ALL had to do challenges, you'd be exhausted. And besides, arranged marriages can make for some good drama, depending on if you arrange for good chemistry or bad.
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I know, I was thinking little challenges, like earn $1000000. Or Have 5 top ten businesses. Or make them fodder for an asylum challenge. Not big challenges like the sim selves are having to do.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

So, basically, have them achieve their LTW? That's pretty good.

Return to “Sims 2 Chat”