HELP - Microsoft Phonecalls ???

Need help with the game or your simming computer? Here’s the spot to ask!
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

HELP - Microsoft Phonecalls ???

Post by itsjulie »

I keep getting phone calls from someone who claims they are calling from microsoft. :hmm:

They keep saying that my computer is sending error message and alerts to them because someone has hacked into my computer ???!!!
He keeps giving me all the bull about, they can steel my personal info and do some damage with it.

He keeps asking me to turn on my computer so he can show me and sort it out.

Do Microsoft even do that??!!

The other day I put the phone down on him twice and the cheeky bugger phoned straight back.
He has just phoned again and I fobbed him off , telling him to phone back tomorrow.

THIS IS A DODGY CALL RIGHT??!!
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Cororon
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sweden

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: HELP - Microsoft Phonecalls ???

Post by Cororon »

It's a scammer.
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

Yeah I guessed it was.

I never expected him to phone back but he is insistent. :fisty:
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Rawla
House of Motherlode
House of Motherlode
Origin ID: Rawla
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Rawla »

I've gotten those too. Hang up.
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

:thup:
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Nevermore
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Location: Hanging out with the voices in Harley Quinn's head.

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Nevermore »

I got one of those. I said "I don't give out personal details such as contact information. How did you get my number and who sold it to you?" They hung up.

Do what you love and the happiness follows.
The reasons you want to stay can blind you to the realisation you don't love it anymore.
xoxo

MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Do you have caller ID? As soon as you know it's him, write down the number and call the (non-emergency, not 9-1-1) police to report it.

I *believe* (I am not a lawyer, so don't quote me on this), that in the USA, this is a federal crime.

But, if you want to have some fun with him, a la James Veitch and the email scammer, play with him a bit, giving him dodgy information, like, "My password is twoodlyookums. That's T, as in Twee, W as in Wobblykins, O as in..." You get the idea. In fact, you could put him on hold, while you "look up" the information he's asking for, call the police on another line (assuming you have another line), and then keep him on the phone with you, for a while, toying with him, like a cat plays with a mouse to tire it out so that when it's actually ready to eat, the thing doesn't wriggle too much going down. :fight:
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

It is a scammer, I don't know the laws about in the UK but here in North America Microsoft WILL NEVER call you like that. First of all, how did they get your number? You don't ever need to give that out when you get a computer. Secondly, calling back the next day? No one does that. Over here the phones have a function that lets you nuke numbers that begin with 1-800 because they are usually trying to sell you something or try to pressure you into upgrading your current services by using your "Keeping Up With the Joneses" competitive nature. Meaning they tell you that your neighbours all have this and that, peer pressure in other words. They try to pull that on us here. I'm sure your local police have some sort of Cyber Crime division and they probably have an extension or something at the precinct. You may not be the only one they've tried to scam in your area.
itsjulie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by itsjulie »

The guy who is phoning me is VERY persistant!!
Today is the third time and I can guarantee that he will phone back again tomorrow like I told him to!!

Straight away I knew the first time he phoned, it was dodgy before he even told me what he was calling for ...
A guy who is obviously Indian by his accent calling himself Micheal Jones, which are like the two most common names in this country :lol:

It annoyed me this morning because he actually woke me up, which is the worst thing you can do to me as I hardly sleep.
but tomorrow when he phone I'll be ready for him ... I plan to play him up something chronic!!! :fight:
Spoiler:
Currently all on hiatus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Completed
Livvielove
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: Aradyn
Origin ID: LivvieLoveSims

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Post by Livvielove »

You can always tell them you're on the phone with microsoft and that they don't know who he is.

Or you can give him a very long life story... drag it out with extra details about really gross, small things. Like "once I got a rash on the side of my leg, and it looked like Spain from a distance, you know the shape of spain?"

And when he tries to change the subject, just ignore him and keep going with your long spiel. :lol:

... OR do what Ani-Mei recommends... I actually don't think American police would do anything about it, but maybe it'd work across the pond. :whome:
Pony
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Ukraine

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Pony »

I start yelling at them if they're persistent. I don't usually cuss people out, but it's kinda thrilling when you know they sorta deserve it.

I think Microsoft would definitely email you before calling, and I'm pretty sure they don't watch computers for viruses and hacking. That's your antivirus' job.

I personally vote for the leading him on a merry chase. Or randomly yell at on non existent cats getting on your "new sofa" in a demon voice. Watch a video where a gamer did that. I died laughing.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Having once been a legit telemarketer, I don't advocate for wasting their time, IF they are legit. But scammers? They totally deserve it! Have a blast, because as James Veitch says, if they're busy with you, they're not scamming other people.
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!

Return to “Help!”