Steam ID: gryffindork7
Origin ID: gryffindork7
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Re: What's Happening in Your TS3 Legacy? Chat

Post by Gryffindork »

Ooh, congrats on your Legaversary! That's really exciting! July 12th will be four years for me... but there's no way I'm putting as much effort into this blog birthday as the last one. :sarcastic: Hopefully I'll be through with Gen. 5 by then, or else my average drops closer to one generation per year (and that's... a little disheartening). Life has been stretching me pretty thin these days too, and despite working the laziest job ever, I have no mental energy in the evenings to be funny. When this contract ends, I'll be broke but maybe I'll at least get some legacy chapters out? :lol:

^ ^ Definitely back that sh*t up, I don't even want to imagine how it would feel to lose all that progress so suddenly. :uhoh: (I say that, yet I'm pretty sure every "backup" I have of the Langurds is on the same hard drive...)
Image Image Image
Echoweaver
Origin ID: Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

I actually have "offsite" backup of the Samples. Well... OK, I copied some backups to our media server. So off-harddrive? But probably the last year of backups is on this machine. It helps that I'm so pressed for space on this computer, and my game takes !@#$ 100G of space, that I can't hold all that many copies of my save files without moving them.

I've had my game eat itself probably four times in the time I've played and watched dozens of legacies derail because their save files were deleted or corrupted. MAMA COMPUTER WHIZ SAYS BACK UP YOUR SHIT.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Waypoint: Nothing Is Free
Emily Whalers

Post Counts

Post by Emily Whalers »

Okay, my plan for Saturday is now 1) update the Scatterdays and 2) backup my computer. I have a 1 TB external drive that my dad gave me for Christmas a few years back (such a nerd dad gift) but I haven't actually backed up my computer since....January 2015. Yeah, I need to get on that, because I have done a lot with my computer in the last year, like finishing my dang MA. Mama Computer Whiz, I promise I'll back up my shiz. :thup:

Also Sam, I think the most I ever updated the Scatterdays was when I was in the middle of job hunting in 2013. Provided you already own everything and have internet access, it's a great, cheap way to pass the time. Fingers crossed that you either get a new contract or a permanent position...though if you have a permanent job like me, you might still find it hard to update. :indifferent:
The Scatterday Matriarchy - Chapter 5.9 and 5.10 published October 31, 2016
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Gryffindork »

Echoweaver wrote:MAMA COMPUTER WHIZ SAYS BACK UP YOUR SHIT.
Can you put this on a banner on one of your blogs? / make a PSA poster / tattoo it over your heart, because I feel like it's accurate on too many levels. :haha:

I'm actually somewhat looking forward to a period of unemployment because I know I will be far more productive in the blogosphere... but then there's rent which, for some odd reason, refuses to pay itself. I also know that if my blogging becomes too productive I will subconsciously sabotage my efforts to become employed again... really, I just need a job that doesn't drain my mental energy so much. Is that too much to ask?? :tongue:

I did get an update out yesterday though, even if it meant sacrificing a huge chunk of sleep! ( :coffee: :heartbeat: = my sentiment right now)
Three more chapters before my heir poll!!
Image Image Image
somebodysangel
Steam ID: somebodysangel
Origin ID: somebodysangel
Australia

Post Counts

Post by somebodysangel »

So agree with Echo about backing stuff up...I really need to do an offsite backup shortly (to both my ext HDDs), but do copy my saves into the other partition of my harddrive when there is a significant event. And have to rename them so I don't lose track. OCD, who, me? :smirk:

Really need to stop playing so much, and actually go through my screenshots and caption them. Thank goodness for heir polls, force me to stop and wait for a result!
ImageImageImageImage Image Image Image
ABCs of Genetics ~ Minos Apocalypse ~ Young BISBI
COMPLETED: Maloney WYDC, Nav-igating the Hive, Winchester Baby Boom, Nikki Immortal Teen, Last Man Standing, Rourke EPIC, Jasper Sweet Lips[/color]
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

I am totally uninspired right now. Bleh. I expect to get back into thing soon -- probably starting with the Wonderlands because they don't take much thought.

I've played a bit into Gen 3 of the Wonderlands, and wow no mate prospects are jumping out. I think I'm going to hold a mate poll again like I did for Generation 1.
______________________________________________________________________________________
ZaleISBI
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by ZaleISBI »

I took, like 7 months off, but I'm super digging it again right now! It comes and goes in waves, my friends.
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

ZaleISBI wrote:I took, like 7 months off, but I'm super digging it again right now! It comes and goes in waves, my friends.
We are here for the long term, brothers and sisters. I may take a break, but I never leave. Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your perspective. :neener:

And augh, I'm probably at least a generation behind on the Zales.
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Gryffindork »

I just had a terrifying/amusing image of us all in our 70's/80's, sitting in rocking chairs with our laptops, still working on these same legacies...
Image Image Image
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

SAY IT'S NOT SO.
ZaleISBI
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by ZaleISBI »

Gryffindork wrote:I just had a terrifying/amusing image of us all in our 70's/80's, sitting in rocking chairs with our laptops, still working on these same legacies...
SAM!! You take that back!!! Besides, I don't play on a lap top :)
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Gryffindork »

Hahaha :) Neither do I, but I write my posts on one, and that's the part that's more likely to drag on for years/decades. ;)

We did make that blood pact a couple of pages ago though, according to which we should finish a little earlier in our lifetimes. You should get in on that. :P
Image Image Image
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

I have a desktop that I used for work when I had a job. I haven't used a desktop for personal use in years.
ZaleISBI
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by ZaleISBI »

I love my desktop. It's my baby. I have a pretty sweet set up! I worked hard to get this area exactly how I want it (minus cords everywhere...). I'm very proud!
Spoiler:
Desktop image is from Dragon Age: Inquisition
Note my Sims 4 mouse pad :)
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

Wow. That setup might convince me to go desktop again.

Then again, an advantage of the laptop is that I can play when I'm visiting family.
ZaleISBI
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by ZaleISBI »

Wait, you aren't supposed to haul your desktop computer around when you visit with family? :shifty:
Emily Whalers

Post Counts

Post by Emily Whalers »

Gryffindork wrote:I just had a terrifying/amusing image of us all in our 70's/80's, sitting in rocking chairs with our laptops, still working on these same legacies...
I'm like 90% sure this is going to happen. :shhh: I'm trying to push through with updates though! The next Scatterday update will be the last for Generation 4, then I have to rearrange my Generation 5 pictures into proper chapters - I'm guessing around 9-10 chapters, maybe more if the youngest member of Generation 6 is chosen as heir. Gotta keep working on things!

Echo: I'm sorry you've been uninspired lately. :hug: It happens, especially when real life gets in the way. I've found that the best way to get through writer's block is just completely focus on something else for a while. Take a break, recharge, and eventually inspiration will strike again. Remember, there are no time limits on your legacy - take as long as you need, even if it does take you until you're 90. ;)

Heather: That is a pretty sweet desktop setup! I use a laptop for Sims/personal stuff, but I use a desktop setup very similar to yours at work. (Similar in that I have double monitors and cords everywhere that I can't do anything else.) My laptop is on the geriatric side, as is my boyfriend's, so we are seriously discussing investing in a desktop setup - iMac because I am Apple trash, with a Windows partition for games and because my boyfriend is more of a Windows person. I will say that an advantage of using a laptop is the ability to play anywhere! Most of Gens. 4 and 5 of the Scatterdays were played outside on my patio last summer. 8-)
The Scatterday Matriarchy - Chapter 5.9 and 5.10 published October 31, 2016
Ani-Mei
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Seasonal Events

House Flair

Post Counts

Post by Ani-Mei »

AHAHA, no. I'm a speedy legacy player and I will probably finish my Rainbowcy before the year is out, I have eight months that's huge amounts of time for me. I have no life, no job :cryingeyes: and no more school so I have nothing but time. Also it's my birthday today!! I'm officially 33 (well I will be at exactly 4:37 pm today). :celebration: :drinks: :applause: :party:
Gryffindork
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator
Canada

Achievements / Awards

Completed Challenges

Post Counts

Post by Gryffindork »

Happy Birthday, Ani-Mei!!! :party: :drinks: That's so exciting! You should definitely celebrate with some simming.

And I envy you for your speed demon ways. I could probably finish a legacy in a year if I didn't publish it... but if I didn't write posts, I likely wouldn't have the drive to make it past Generation Three. Now, if I could be a speedy player and a speedy writer... :sarcastic: I still need to check out your rainbowcy though, I bet it's lots of fun to play!
Image Image Image
Echoweaver
United States of America

Post Counts

Post by Echoweaver »

Haha. What Sam/Gryffindork said. Building a story is what makes the game interesting. But I lose faith if I don't WRITE the story, and that takes up most of the time.....

Return to “Sims 3 Chat”