My game won't open!

MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

My game won't open!

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Yesterday it worked, and now it won't.

Yesterday, after a download spree, it took more than an hour to load, but then it ran just fine. Today, however, it refuses to even GET to the loading screen. NOTHING. I click on it, I double-click on it, I go to the shortcut and the original and all that jazz, and I get the little hourglass thing for 30 seconds, or so, and then NOTHING.

What's wrong? Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Badass Alphabetocalypse (Complete!)
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Thaitanic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam ID: crimml
Origin ID: re030
Great Britain

Seasonal Events

Post Counts

Re: My game won't open!

Post by Thaitanic »

I'd be tempted to sort through my CC using the half-in-half-out method until I found the problem file; it could also be a contradiction with another program you're running at the same time?
call me Thai!
they/them
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Everything's closed. I rebooted. It doesn't want to work. As for the CC, it worked, just yesterday! Gaaaah.

Well, half-in-half-out and we'll see if either halves work, and then go from there. But it's just so frustrating. It worked yesterday!
All of my other projects should be moved to the graveyard. But I have a new computer, at last! WOOOOT!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

Have you tried deleting your groups cache and accessories cache files in your Documents/Sims 2 folder? My game hardly ever loads these days without me deleting them before launching the game.
Image Image
ISTJ
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Lorinsv wrote:Have you tried deleting your groups cache and accessories cache files in your Documents/Sims 2 folder? My game hardly ever loads these days without me deleting them before launching the game.

HOOOORAAAAAYYYYY! Thank you so much! I had no idea I needed to do that.

I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Seriously, I'd have been stuck. I took out the entire Downloads folder, and it still didn't fix it, but moving those two files made it load. HUZZAH!
Lorinsv
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Lorinsv »

GREAT! :D

It used to happen to me so seldom that I'd forget about it so I put sticky notes on my monitor and simming notebook to remind me. Now it happens so often, it's automatic.
Image Image
ISTJ
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I learned years ago to always delete accessory and group caches. I wonder what goes wrong with them.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

I added it to my Sims gaming notebook. Thanks again!

Hah! I used to think I was weird because I had one of these. Now I see it's not so uncommon as I thought.

Did you write down all of the plantables in Sims 3, so you could be sure to plant them in alphabetical order? Grouped by rarity, of course. And of course, I wrote down the colors for the potions at the Concoctenation Station in the original Sims, so I could see whether I wanted my sims to drink the potion, or just sell the object and buy it again. And of course, which juices are worth doing in Sims 2, and the most necessary cheat codes, and...

Yeah, I'd be lost without my notebook.

Do you also have home-made laminated lists of things to collect, and other things you might want to have a checklist for? I love my laminated lists. It's easy to make, too. Either write neatly, or type up your list, and then, you can get these stick-on laminate sheets at the office-supply store, and just stick them right on the page. Then, you can use dry-erase markers, or wet-erase, or my favorite - china marking pencils. Because, if you're going to collect things, or plant a full garden, or woohoo with 20 different sims, then it's good to keep track, and sometimes, you just don't want to hop back and forth to a spreadsheet.

I used to have the full list of Apocalypse rules printed out, but it got lost in a move, and then I updated to Apartment Life, so that changed the rules, anyway. But yeah, those rules just cry out for lamination.

I'm not obsessed, at all. :whistle:
Teresa
Site Admin
Site Admin
Steam ID: tjsmetana
Origin ID: tsmetana
United States of America

Achievements / Awards

Post Counts

Post by Teresa »

I don't have a notebook - I have Excel, OneNote, and a very large folder on my hard drive. For Sims 3 I had a list of every adventure quest so that I could make sure I did them all, and all of the collectibles. I am doing the same thing in Sims 4. At some point I had the idea to create posts on my blog with this information but I lost that motivation along the way.
Completing challenges & legacies since 2007 | Completed Stories
WistfulRose

Post Counts

Post by WistfulRose »

Does anyone else have a file sitting on their computer explaining how to connect Skip to Brandi's unborn child in Pleasantveiw? Because, as is, when it is born it is just a male clone of Brandi, but if you connect him then you can have a child with both genetic and can even have a girl! And, you know, he is the father so he should be connected in the first place.
MichelleCYoung

Post Counts

Post by MichelleCYoung »

Sorry, I don't. You might want to move this question to its own "help" topic.

Return to “Sims 2 Help!”