Pop in and have a go - there are 5 different challenges to chose from
Brilliance

Post Counts

Bri's 2021 Writing Prompt Challenge

Post by Brilliance »

CHALLENGE 4
The Daily Prompt Challenge
Stay in good health and be brilliant always. - Brilliance (Bri)
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Re: Bri's 2021 Writing Prompt Challenge

Post by Brilliance »

January 1st:
One Word Prompts
"New"
Spoiler:
New planet. New bandit overlords to avoid. New everything. I had to start over. Again. Yes I have been tossed around the galaxy for most of my life. Not of my own choosing. Necessity to avoid the orphan hunters forced my actions this time. Two cycles until my year of decision came. It seemed like forever. I had already been surviving in the star lands for a few cycles already. The 'accident' that claimed my family's lives haunted me. Being on my own as hard. It was dangerous too. Could I keep it up? Was it worth the trouble? Thinking of being grounded on a child's moon or worse, to be captured by bandits, kept me going. Sure the child's moon was suppose to be nurturing to orphans. Did I want to be coddled? I had been independent for too long now. I wasn't a soft child. I did not need nurturing. My heart deep inside ached for it though. It was a conflict I tried hard not to think about. Especially in times like this one.
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 2nd:
One Word Prompts
"YOUNG"
Spoiler:
The young were suppose to be easily manipulated, influenced, guided, nurtured, enslaved, taught. Whatever these ones facing me had in mind for my youth was not clear to me yet. I was cautious. Crouched here near the rubble of the back alley I'd been chased to had not put me in a trusting mood. I watched her carefully. She was not dressed as a Bandit or Arena Slave Trader. I'd seen both. Even if her manner of dress was similar to them the movement, the expressions, the aura of inner personality would have revealed them for what they were. This one, she was a mystery to me. I glanced upwards and to right and left with only my eyes. Why was it some never looked up? I made it my habit not to ignore this in my search for danger. So far it was just this middle aged female that stood between me and freedom. She had not yet spoken. Maybe she would soon.
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 3rd:
DIALOGUE PROMPTS
"Close the door."
Spoiler:
"Close the door."
Three words. Three little words and it felt like my world was about to end. Do I obey? Do I act rebellious? Do I stand in the doorway itself and do nothing? Do I run? The woman from the alley spoke these words. Her tone of voice did not reveal anything deadly. In fact it had been her voice and three other little words that had me following her out of the alley of my own free will. She had said, "Follow me please." Then she'd turned around and walked away. She had not glanced back to me. She had not tried to convince me with flowery words why I should do her will. She had made a request and left it completely up to me. I think the word 'please' also surprised me enough to want to know more. I was curious. I was still curious. Making up my mind, I stepped cautiously into the room, glanced at the door and then took another step. I did not close the door.
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 4th:
ONE WORD PROMPTS
"Wonder"
Spoiler:
A slight tug at the corner of the woman's mouth made me wonder what she was thinking. Was she amused or was that approval? I wondered a great many things in the span of a breath in that moment. Why had she called for me to follow? Why had I? What would happen next? I had not spoken to her yet. I was tempted to. Many questions went through my mind. Shifting my dirty bare feet upon the rough plasti-steel of the floor, the usual construction in this star port, I waited. I would not speak yet. Let this woman do the speaking. Glancing around the room and behind me at the door I'd come through, I turned back and waited still longer. Would she speak at all?
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 5th:
DIALOGUE PROMPTS
"I should have told you a long time ago."
Spoiler:
One of my eyebrows raised with quiet surprise and confusion. Why? It was what the woman chose to say after what seemed like a long time of silence.
"I should have told you a long time ago." Is what she'd said. How could she say that? I'd only managed to stowaway on a freighter and got here a few days ago. This woman acted like she'd known me for a long time. She had to mistake me for someone else. That was the only explanation. Not knowing that this statement was carefully designed to get me to say something, anything, I fell into that crafty trick and spoke for the first time when I said, "You don't know me."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 6th:
Dialogue Prompts
"Why are you helping me?"
Spoiler:
Though never having met me before, the woman seemed to know much about me. She revealed more about me than I could ever dream she'd know in my silent few minutes of interacting with her. She knew I was alone. She knew I'd traveled many places for a long time. She knew I spoke fluent Emitth'gin but with a far Tibah'no accent. All from the one sentence I'd spoken so far. What she said after had me mentally reeling with disbelief. She belonged to an organization that taught ones like me to survive better, support them and showed how to help others. Protectors. They were suppose to be just stories. Myths that did not exist. Maybe they really did? Had a Protector found me? Why me? I had to ask. "Why are you helping me?"
Last edited by Brilliance on March 3rd, 2021, 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 7th:
Dialogue Prompts
"You have to leave right now."
Spoiler:
I saw the woman smile kindly. Her mouth opened to answer my question. She never got the chance to speak what she'd mean to say. Instead the room we were in shook violently as if a huge monster were pounding it flat with its fists. Boom boom BOOM. Dust and smoke were suffocating. Debris was scattered. Had the world exploded? I had fallen unable to stand. The woman was not to be found. Crawling towards her instead of away, I coughed and wiped a shaking hand across my forehead. It came back wet. Glancing at the blood there I did not hesitate. I found the woman, she was crawling in my direction from around her desk. She was dirty and looked injured. Reaching out she placed her hand upon my shoulder. I cringed from the touch but did not pull away as I normally might have. "You have to leave right now." She coughed with urgency in her voice. "You have to leave right now." She repeated and pointed towards another door behind her desk as she covered her mouth with her other hand and coughed. "Go!" She demanded.
Last edited by Brilliance on March 3rd, 2021, 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 8th:
Dialogue Prompt
"Just trust me."
Spoiler:
Go or don't go? What did I owe this woman? Nothing. I owed no one anything. That is how it had always been. It was safer that way. But with the entire world crashing down around my shoulders, quite literally it seemed, there was but only choice I had. I wasn't going to leave her to face whatever this was alone. I was not going to race for the exit when she might need my help. Why was I hesitating? Why wasn't I running? I guess it was because of voice that echoed out of my past. A voice I regretting listening to ever since I obeyed. "Run! Do it! Just trust me." It had said. I'd been running ever since. Had they survived that time? I'd never know. But this time. This time I would not run. "No!" I hollered and moved closer to help if I could.
Last edited by Brilliance on March 3rd, 2021, 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 9th:
Dialogue Prompt
"I've been waiting a long time."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 10th:
"Your're in love with her."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 11th:
"Come here."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 12th:
"We could get arrested for this."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 13th:
"What are you thinking about."
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 14th:
"I thought you were dead."
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 15th:
"Your're never going to let that go, are you."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 16:
"Was that supposed to hurt."
Last edited by Brilliance on January 1st, 2021, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 17th:
"I can explain."
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 18th:
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes
Brilliance

Post Counts

Post by Brilliance »

January 19th:
Night's Babies
My Olympic Notes

Return to “2021 Writing Prompt Challenges”